"Ash Fork - Flag Stone Capitol of World"" Ash Fork by Yaqui

Ash Fork Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 12 photos

Know as the “Flag Stone Capitol of the World”, Ash Fork started as a simple stage coach stop for freighters hauling in supplies and ore, but by 1882 when the Santa Fe Railroad stretch across the plains of Arizona, this little sleepy stage stop became a community. At the request of the freight businesses, the railroad finally relented and built a depot. This site was settled within three forks of Ash Creek, hence the name Ash Fork. The first business opened its door in 1882’s by a man named Thomas Cooper Lewis and in 1883; the first post office was established. Wells Forgo even made its way here in 1885. By 1907, a Harvey House was established containing a hotel, restaurant and curio store. It survived business up to 1951.

Route 66 was a major interstate that brought prosper too many towns like Ash Fork, but by 1953 Interstate 40 started to bypass her as did the railroad tracks. Then if that was not enough, a fire devastated most of the historical buildings in 1975. Yet, with the revive of the Old Route 66 lore and having one the most significant quarries that produces beautiful flag stone, which is shipped all over the world by the way. I have seen them on trucks heading north on Interstate 58 in California and now I know where they yield from. Ash Fork has been kept alive.

We stopped here because of the historical marker located on Interstate 40 and my hubby well knows how I am and is always willing to let me explore….Muah! We followed the signs past the vast display of flagstone that lined the road. We immediately came up this little sleepy town. At first, I was in awe of the little brick homes that lined the one-way street, but became dismayed somewhat of the decay the town is experiencing. Yet, these are family homes who are trying to make it in today’s tough economy, so that was no surprise. We drove around and came upon the historical site, which was a lovely tribute to the town’s history. These markers are for people like me, to see, enjoy and appreciate. It also educates my boys in the significance history has for us all, plus it brings me joy is when my oldest will take the time to read them and remember.…Yay!

• Pros:As simple this town appears, it has much to offer
  • Cons:Keep an open mind
  • In a nutshell:Route 66 is still important and the local history this town help create
  • Last visit to Ash Fork: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 16, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM

After all the tragedies, the town is still going - Thats wonderful!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Jan 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM

We pass by it several times each year so I need to stop to see how it is doing. It is a neat little city. Thanks for stopping by Dee.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

You can never stop learning history.... It's so exciting to explore such historical places...

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I love stopping for historical markers!! You never know what you're gonna find.... We must have kindred travel spirits :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 3:53 AM

Dee, you write the most amazing introductions which gives us a flavor of the place and entices us to visit. If we cannot visit, it feels as though we have because of your talented endeavors.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 1:34 AM

That's a romantic looking tourist center, to me doesn't really look like a tourist center but a spot of Bridges Of Madison County.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I really like your page. I was just in Ash Fork earlier today!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Amazing place!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Will stop by here if ever I fulfill my ambition of driving Rte 66!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Thta tourist office looks like a house...you have found the most interesting places in Arizona...

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 6:55 AM

A very interesting litttle page. Great historical info.

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Ash Fork

Have you been to Ash Fork?

Latest Activity in Ash Fork