"Souix - Paha Sapa - 'hills that are black"" Top 5 Page for this destination South Dakota by Yaqui
South Dakota Travel Guide: 1,242 reviews and 3,035 photos
The Black Hills is a mecca of memorials, museums, outdoor activites, restaurants, good old fashion towns, and just so much to mention here:-)
Formed during the Paleocene Epoch, over 60 million years ago. The Black Hills contain eighteen peaks that are over 7,000 feet high. Harney Peak is the highest, and at 7,242 feet above sea level. The Bison symbolize the Black Hills, though there are small numbers of Buffalo in Badlands and Wind Cave National Parks and at Bear Butte, the best place is Custer State Park.
Gold was first discovered in the Black Hills by the Custer Expedition in 1874. Though the first discovery was along French Creek near present-day Custer City, most mining in the region has taken place in the northern Black Hills. Igniting much anger by the "Souix" who considered these their sacred grounds. It wasn't after much bloodshed their sacred lands were taken, but never from their hearts and soul.
We all have our opinions and everyone has a right to an opinion. Many Native Americans feel the Crazy Horse Memorial is desecration of their sacred lands. Like it would be to us if someone destroyed our places of worship. As wonderful I feel this memorial is, there are many who don't. We all have to respect that!
- Pros:Spectacular Mountains!
- Cons:Crowded during summer months, so be prepared.
- In a nutshell:An adventure for all!
This was a really neat experience and couldn't had asked for more beautiful weather. This historical 1880 train is... more travel advice
Like most towns in this area, came to be because of the gold mines and camps were set up. It soon was named in 1891after... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
South Dakota Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Dakota"
- "Souix - Paha Sapa - 'hills that are black""
- "Expansive Beauty"
- "South Dakota"
- "Cows, Corn and Soybeans"
- "BLACK HILLS - MOUNTAIN ISLAND ON THE GREAT PLAINS"
- "Lakota people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Dakota
- Hotels in South Dakota
- Transportation in South Dakota
- Nightlife in South Dakota
- Restaurants in South Dakota
- Shopping in South Dakota
- Warnings and Dangers in South Dakota
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Dakota
- 18 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to South Dakota?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Dakota
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Safety (Danger)"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's South Dakota travel pages
- Wrote a Review 1880 Train! in South Dakota Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Historical Ruby House Restaurant Keystone"
- updated a South Dakota Travel Page "Souix - Paha Sapa - 'hills that are black""
Photos in South DakotaSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos