"Souix - Paha Sapa - 'hills that are black"" Top 5 Page for this destination South Dakota by Yaqui

South Dakota Travel Guide: 1,242 reviews and 3,035 photos

So Much To See and Do Here!

The Black Hills is a mecca of memorials, museums, outdoor activites, restaurants, good old fashion towns, and just so much to mention here:-)

Formed during the Paleocene Epoch, over 60 million years ago. The Black Hills contain eighteen peaks that are over 7,000 feet high. Harney Peak is the highest, and at 7,242 feet above sea level. The Bison symbolize the Black Hills, though there are small numbers of Buffalo in Badlands and Wind Cave National Parks and at Bear Butte, the best place is Custer State Park.

Gold was first discovered in the Black Hills by the Custer Expedition in 1874. Though the first discovery was along French Creek near present-day Custer City, most mining in the region has taken place in the northern Black Hills. Igniting much anger by the "Souix" who considered these their sacred grounds. It wasn't after much bloodshed their sacred lands were taken, but never from their hearts and soul.

We all have our opinions and everyone has a right to an opinion. Many Native Americans feel the Crazy Horse Memorial is desecration of their sacred lands. Like it would be to us if someone destroyed our places of worship. As wonderful I feel this memorial is, there are many who don't. We all have to respect that!

• Pros:Spectacular Mountains!
  • Cons:Crowded during summer months, so be prepared.
  • In a nutshell:An adventure for all!
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2004

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Looks like an impressive state. Would love to see it. I assume it would be covered in snow in January?

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I haven't been to SD for years, but would love to see how much progress they've made on the Crazy Horse monument. We enjoyed your pages.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2006 at 4:43 AM

A very interesting page, Dee It looks like beautiful country.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 10:41 AM

We going out this way in a couple months, thanks for the tips! I can't wait to see the mountain goats!

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2006 at 3:13 AM

mt rushmore was so impressive...I loved it....the crazy horse memorial I saw from afar......is it finish yet?....U...

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Great pictures and descriptions on this page! It's a great place to visit. I see the Ruby House Restaurant is still going strong---had a meal there when we visited over 20 yrs. ago!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2005 at 10:09 AM

Worth a second looki! Superior pages, Dee. So informative and quite interesting. Mr. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, 1880 Train & Indian Museum were my favorites. Oh, yes, the caves, too.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 9:28 PM

Hi Dee, Was born in SD, but folks moved me out at 6 weeks of age. Have been back tho, and now you have taken me back again! Wonderful page and tips. Buffalo Burgers great! Doug (^_^)

• ocicat's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 10:07 AM

Great site! Thanks for all the tips, they're very helpful for planning my trip.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 3:28 PM

Great page, Dee! Those Rushmore Caves look well worth seeing - good for you for figuring out a way to do it without getting claustraphobic!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in South Dakota

Have you been to South Dakota?