"Big Bold Beautiful Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada by Yaqui
Nevada Travel Guide: 10,543 reviews and 22,899 photos
Surrounded by mountains, the present day lake sits in a valley at an elevation of 6,229 feet. It is the highest lake of its size in the United States. It is the third deepest lake in North America and the tenth deepest lake in the world.
Lake Tahoe is 22 miles in length and 12 miles in width and covers a surface area of 191 square miles. The consistently beautiful shoreline is 71 miles, with the California shoreline being 42 miles and the Nevada shoreline being 29 miles.
The first humans to enjoy the Lake Tahoe Basin were the Native American culture group know as the Washoe. The discovery of stone artifacts and projectile points confirms the Washoes presence 10,00 years ago.
The first recorded sighting of Lake Tahoe by a non-Native American was by John C. Fremont in February of 1844.
In 1859 the Comstock Lode was discovered in Virginia City, Nevada. During the 1860s Tahoe became the center of a lively commerce involving the silver mines in Virginia City and the Central Pacific Railroad, which was pushing over the Sierra toward the town of Truckee.
By the 1890s Lake Tahoe had become a popular retreat for the wealthy from San Francisco, Sacramento and Virginia City. At this point in history the only industry that showed promise was tourism, so the rush began to build resorts.
South Lake Tahoe Chamber of Commerce
Write, call or visit:
3066 Lake Tahoe Blvd. / U.S. HWY 50
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Retrieved fromLake Tahoe Vacation Guide
- Pros:Beautiful Clear Water
- Cons:Weather Permitting
- In a nutshell:You'll miss out, if you don't visit
Buffalo Bills is a 1242-room resort, owned by the MGM/Mirage Corporation. This western-themed hotel boasts a... more travel advice
These are all lined up next to eachother, so make time to look at them. From Left to Right! Hoover Dam Inscription. A... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Nevada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Bold Beautiful Country"
- "Carson Valley 2003"
- "GEMS BEYOND THE STRIP"
- "Home in the Great Basin"
- "NEVADA: Awesome Landscapes"
- "Beyond The Desert And Casinos"
- "Sneaking into Nevada under cover of darkness!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada
- Hotels in Nevada
- Transportation in Nevada
- Nightlife in Nevada
- Restaurants in Nevada
- Shopping in Nevada
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada
- 525 Reviews
- 2,089 Photos
- 40 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Nevada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada
Videos in NevadaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos