"MONTANA" Top 5 Page for this destination Montana by Yaqui

Montana Travel Guide: 1,518 reviews and 3,482 photos

The state my sister loved!

I dedicated these pages to my big sister Cynthia who passed away sometime ago, but never from my heart. She loved the state of Montana. She was a sister, mother, grandmother, and adventurer. She was excellent at rebuilding antiques. She didn't just refinish the wood, but knew and had the skill to make the new parts. She drove trucks for oil companies and worked on the railroad line. "She loved to fish!!" She was not afraid to venture out in the back country streams with her trusty fishing pole and queensland heeler and fish along side the Grizzly bears. Yeah Grizzly bears!! She knew to respect their world and gave them a wide bearth. She to me, was a very special woman who is dearly missed by her family. She was my big sister I will always cherish. "She is the one that showed me Montana and a true Native Spirit!!"

Billings, Montana

My sister lived in Laurel, which is just outside of Billings. Lovely town should visit. Oh, Billings has a hell of an airport. I experienced it. It appears to be built on a Mesa. Just thought that was wild.

Billings Montana received its named after Frederick H. Billings, the famed railroad tycoon President of the Northern Pacific Railroad from May 1979 to June 1881. His statue stands in front of The Western Heritage Center. Minnesota and Montana Land and Improvement Company in 1882 laid out the town-site. A month later, 5,000 lots had been sold for cash. By years end there were 155 commercial buildings, 99 homes, 6 railroad buildings and 25 tents where only three buildings had stood before. The town's sudden appearance gave it the "Magic City" nick name. To explore check in with the Billings Area Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center at 815 South 27th Street because they would be more than happy to assist you.

Visit Billings, Montana

W. Clark Signature

Clarks signature is ingraved into the rock along with many settlers passing through. This site has a platform that surrounds the pillar so you can see all the signatures left behind.

My little crazy family was having fun that day. You can see the cassing of Clarks signature behind us.

• Pros:The west is still here, I love it!
  • Cons:Nothing:-)
  • In a nutshell:Need to visit and take in the scenery!
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2010

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 1:45 AM

"Queensland Heeler", is that what we call a "Blue Healer", my son has one and they are very loyal, protective.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Interesting to read about the battlefield and Pompeys Pillar and how Billings, Montana, got its name.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I never was in Montana, and it was for me mountains and “wild west”. These beautiful Victorian houses of Billings look very “civilised”; I learned something, Dee. Custer is not my friend, but it must be moving to walk amongst the graves of the soldiers.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM

As usual, GREAT tips and pics! Ann, T.S.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Interesting Montana page! Moss Mansion and Victorian Homes look lovely to explore. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 9:26 PM

This is a nice dedication to your sister - keeps her memory alive...and I do have a ref magnet from Billings from a "nun" friend of mine in Kansas City --- she told me I should visit Montana and I will in the future...Norman :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Billings seems to have had quite an interesting history and lots of elegant Victorian mansions too! I've only been to Montana once, but Glacier NP was truly spectacular! Beautiful photo of you with your sister.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 6:04 PM

What a beautiful honor for your sister.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 11:27 AM

A very moving tribute to your sister. I lost an older sister several years ago and it reminded me of her.

• JosM's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 5:06 PM

In 1995 we landed in Billings on our way to Yellowstone - I regret that we did'nt take time to visit the city and its surroundings!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Montana

Have you been to Montana?

Latest Activity in Montana