California Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Yaqui Top 5 Page for this destination
California Warnings and Dangers: 72 reviews and 48 photos
Just a reminder when visiting California, Ex-Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed legislation that prohibits the use of handheld mobile phones while driving in the state. Believe me the law inforcement does watch for people using their cellphones while driving.
Effective July 1, 2008, the legislation prohibits drivers from using a wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle unless the driver uses a hands-free device. Drivers who violate the law will face a base fine of $20 for a first offense and $50 for each subsequent offense. It says only $20, yet do not be surprised if you incur extra fees tacked onto that.
The law allows drivers to use a wireless telephone for emergency purposes, drivers of commercial vehicles to use push-to-talk phones until July 1, 2011, and allow drivers of emergency response vehicles to use a cell phone without a hands-free device.
California joins Connecticut, the District of Columbia, New Jersey, New York, and some local jurisdictions in prohibiting the use of handheld mobile phones while driving.
NEW "MOVE OVER" LAW WILL INCREASE SAFETY FOR CALTRANS HIGHWAY WORKERS
Sacramento –Caltrans wants the public to know about a new law signed by the governor that requires motorists to move over or slow down when they see a Caltrans vehicle flashing warning lights.
The new law, Senate Bill 240 (State Senator Roderick Wright), adds Caltrans vehicles displaying flashing amber warning lights to the list of vehicles for which motorists must slow down and, if safe, move over to a lane not immediately adjacent to the stationary vehicle.
“This protects the safety of our workers,” said Caltrans Director Randy Iwasaki. “Highway workers face the same dangers from fast moving traffic as emergency personnel and tow-truck operators. We appreciate the leadership and recognition of the legislature and governor for the need to provide a safer working environment for our employees.”
Since 1924, 174 Caltrans workers have lost their lives in the line of duty. On July 23, 2009, Caltrans worker Don Lichliter was struck and fatally injured by a passing truck on Highway 99 in Lodi. He was with another worker applying a fertilizer treatment to keep eucalyptus trees healthy. Their truck was parked on the shoulder.
To date, 45 other states have enacted similar laws requiring motorists to move over or slow down. Violation of the new provision is punishable by a fine of not more than $50. The new law also makes the safety protections permanent by removing the sunset date (January 1, 2010) from existing law.
This law basically says, if its raining or your using your wipers, you better have on your headlights "ON".
A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be:
(1) Equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.
(2) Operated during darkness, or inclement weather, or both, with at least two lighted headlamps that comply with paragraph (1).
(b) As used in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a), “inclement weather” is a weather condition that is either of the following:
(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.
(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.
Added Sec. 2, Ch. 415, Stats. 2004. Effectve January 1, 2005. Operative July 1, 2005.
Amended Sec. 9, Ch. 311, Stats. 2006. Effective January 1, 2007.
More Reviews (121)
- See All Metrolink
- See All Rosamond~EEBC's Feline Conservation...
- See All Cathedral City~Desert Oasis Resort
Yaqui's Related Pages
California Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIFORNIA ~ It's not about the glam, but nature!"
- "California - What More Do I Need To Say?"
- "Always on My Mind....California"
- "Our awesome trip to California summer of 2004"
- "The Regions of California"
- "GOLDEN STATE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in California
- Hotels in California
- Transportation in California
- Nightlife in California
- Restaurants in California
- Shopping in California
- Warnings and Dangers in California
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampong Tanjong Gemok Hotels
- Jelenia Gora
- Mayon Hotels
- Lauli`i Hotels
- Porto Petro
- Byron Bay
- La Jolla Hotels
Badges & Stats in California
- 2,335 Reviews
- 8,000 Photos
- 23 Forum posts
- 165 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to California?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in California
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Help in regards to a rental..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Metrolink"
- Wrote a Review Metrolink about Trolley / Metro / Train in California Transportation
- Commented on one of Yaqui's California tips
- updated a California Travel Page "CALIFORNIA ~ It's not about the glam, but nature!"
Videos in CaliforniaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (121)
Top California hotels
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4393 Reviews - 8846 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9113 Reviews - 19382 Photos
- San Diego Hotels
- 3197 Reviews - 7275 Photos
- Anaheim Hotels
- 711 Reviews - 1958 Photos
- Palm Springs Hotels
- 349 Reviews - 766 Photos
- Santa Barbara Hotels
- 646 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Monterey Hotels
- 917 Reviews - 2734 Photos
- Santa Monica Hotels
- 457 Reviews - 1054 Photos
- Marina del Rey Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Hollywood Hotels
- 448 Reviews - 1294 Photos
- Manhattan Beach Hotels
- 350 Reviews - 759 Photos
- Mammoth Lakes Hotels
- 252 Reviews - 499 Photos
- Cambria Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Solvang Hotels
- 268 Reviews - 678 Photos
- South Lake Tahoe Hotels
- 359 Reviews - 776 Photos
- PCH--Pacific Coast Highway--Highway 1- 22 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Other California Sights- 71 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Giant Redwoods- 20 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Hearst Castle- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Yosemite National Park- 51 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Other National / State Parks- 59 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Pacific Ocean / Local Beaches- 16 Reviews, 19 Photos
- BIG SUR- 25 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Churches / Temples / Mosques- 10 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Museums / Libraries- 21 Reviews, 61 Photos
See All California Things to Do