"Amazing What You Can Find in a Small Town" Pen Argyl by AlbuqRay
Pen Argyl Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 36 photos
Pen Argyl is a small town (population 4000) in northeast Pennsylvania near Allentown. My brother and his family happen to live there, so I visit occasionally. You may ask what could be interesting about Pen Argyl. Besides being the home of a historic carousel and the place where Jayne Mansfield is buried, some very talented people live there. My brother has developed one of the most innovative programs for autistic children in the world. His wife is a talented Persian artist. My niece is a young artist and musician that also operates the carousel as a summer job. The co-founder of the Big Apple Circus with its unique Clown Care program lives there too.
The carousel is a stationary menagerie Gustav Dentzel machine made by William Dentzel in the early 1900's. The figures have been restored to the original Dentzel factory paint by Lisa Parr, i.e., she removed all non-original paint down to the factory paint. Worn areas were then in-painted and the surface protected by varnish. This process allowed the original paint to be seen. The carousel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. The National Carousel Association has many nice pictures of the carousel.
Jayne Mansfield once lived in Pen Argyl and went on to be a famous movie star and sex symbol in the 1960's. After a tragic accident in 1967, she was buried in a cemetery just outside Pen Argyl. Even now, many fans still remember her and decorate her pink-colored gravestone. Notice that her gravestone says Jayne Mansfield and not Vera-Jayne Palmer.
- Pros:Relaxed atmosphere and unique activities
- Cons:Cold and snowy in the winter
- In a nutshell:Rural Pennsylvania can be special
I was visiting my brother and his family in Pen Argyl, PA, in early May 2008. We went to Bealtainne at Columcille while... more travel advice
Also near Pen Argyl is another institute, Arsha Vidya Gurukulam. It is an institute for the traditional study of Advaita... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Pen Argyl Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pen Argyl
- 7 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Pen Argyl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pen Argyl
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Guided Tour or self-guided tour"
- Uploaded a Photo to "May Day at Columcille"
- Wrote a Review May Day at Columcille in Pen Argyl Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Pen Argyl
- updated a Pen Argyl Travel Page "Amazing What You Can Find in a Small Town"
Photos in Pen ArgylSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues