"Historical but Commercialized" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg by AlbuqRay
Gettysburg Travel Guide: 413 reviews and 917 photos
The decisive 3-day battle at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on 1-3 July 1893 between Confederate and Union forces during the Civil War left over 51,000 soldiers dead or wounded. Today most of the battlefield is contained in the 6000-acre Gettysburg National Military Park. The park has a new Museum and Visitors' Center where many of the more than 2 million visitors each year start their tours. There are 30 miles of roads, and 1400 monuments and markers in the park.
Soldiers National Monument is located in the national cemetery created soon after the battle as a burial ground for the Union dead. It is where Lincoln gave his famous Gettysburg Address on 19 Nov 1863. Originally, 3512 Union soldiers were buried in the cemetery in a semi-circle around the monument. The names of 979 of those soldiers were unknown. Typically, the monument has many tour groups around it and walking among the nearby graves. See my General Tip on how to tour on your own, either by walking or the self-guided auto tour. The video at the Soldiers' National Monument was taken early in the morning before the crowds arrived. It was quiet, the birds were singing, and the sense of history was conspicuous.
The city's blue water tank now sits on East Cemetery Hill near one of the more famous battle sites and can be seen behind the New York State Monument when looking from the Soldiers' National Monument. In 2006, a proposal to build a casino near Gettysburg was defeated by people wanting to preserve as much of the remaining Civil War history as possible.
The good news is that there are still quiet places away from the crowds out in the Gettysburg National Military Park. One may find them on the self-guided auto tour (see my General Tip for a link to the map or get one at the new Museum and Visitors' Center). This was one such place on Ayres Avenue near The Wheatfield. One can see Little Round Top in the background.
My first visit to Gettysburg was in early May 2008. It was definitely crowded. However, I happened to return in mid-September 2009 and things were very different. Evidently there is a lull at that time. School has started but, although the temperature has cooled down some, the leaves have not changed to their Fall colors yet. There were no crowds at all!
- Pros:Famous historical sites and memorials to those who should be remembered
- Cons:Crowded and encroachment of sites near downtown
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit but must deal with crowds of tourists
The Evergreen Cemetery is a private cemetery that was located on Cemetery Hill before the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863.... more travel advice
The Lincoln Gettysburg Address Memorial is located near the Taneytown Road gate of the Soldiers' National Cemetery.... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Gettysburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GETTYSBURG-The Address, The Heroism And The Fallen"
- "My Family's Home"
- "~Gettysburg-The Town~"
- "Historical but Commercialized"
- "Gettysburg, history to discover"
- "Like my second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg
- Hotels in Gettysburg
- Transportation in Gettysburg
- Nightlife in Gettysburg
- Restaurants in Gettysburg
- Shopping in Gettysburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gettysburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg
- 44 Reviews
- 213 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Gettysburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg
Photos in GettysburgSee All Photos (213)
Videos in GettysburgSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues