"Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area" Delaware Water Gap by AlbuqRay

Delaware Water Gap Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 52 photos

Old Mine Road and Van Campen's Glen

Both references in Virtualtourist for the Delaware Water Gap are for the Pennsylvania side. This is probably because the Gap itself is near the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA. Also, the headquarters for the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is near Bushkill, PA. In the 1960's, a dam was planned upstream from the Gap at Tocks Island, but was never built. Land for the proposed reservoir had already been purchased on both sides of the river (NJ and PA) for ~40 miles. The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area was created from the land acquired for the planned reservoir. BTW, I hope DWGapper (Peg) does not mind me referencing it, but you should read her wonderful travelogue on the town and its history. Actually she has not signed back on VT since 2003, so I think it will be okay.

I wanted to write about the Old Mine Road area on the New Jersey side in the Worthington State Forest, which is where I went. Even though I only drove through the town (see, I should have read Peg's travelogue before I went) on my way to NJ, I put the tips under the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA, to make them easier to find. The picture shows a guy fly fishing for trout below the upper waterfall on the stream above Van Campen's Glen. I watched him catch and release a couple of fish (see one of the videos; okay, okay; at VT resolution you can barely see him, much less the fish).

Delaware Water Gap Bridge

The Delaware Water Gap Bridge spans the river near the Pennsylvania town of Delaware Water Gap (which is where I decided to put these tips even though they are about the NJ side) and carries I-80. When you are going east (actually southeast) on I-80 and cross the river, the Kittatinny Point Visitor Center is at the exit immediately on the right as you enter the New Jersey side. If you turn back west and go under the bridge on the road shown in this picture, you will reach Old Mine Road. See also the video taken at this spot.

Start of Old Mine Road

The start of the Old Mine Road is one lane near the I-80 bridge, so there is a traffic light that only let's the cars go one direction at a time, i.e., either north or south. The wait can be 3 minutes but it is worth it. Van Campen's Glen is about 10 miles north of the bridge on the east side of the road.

• Pros:Quiet, clean stream with trout and nearby campgrounds
  • Cons:Due to lack of budget, NJ may be closing some of these places
  • In a nutshell:I thought I was on a trout stream in New Mexico, not New Jersey
  • Last visit to Delaware Water Gap: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM

You’re right, it doesn’t look like New Jersey, but actually there are lots of places in New Jersey that don’t look like New Jersey. This page is something of a Blast from the Past for me because I had completely forgotten about the Delaware Water Gap, but now that you mention it I used to go hiking there when I was a college student in New York in the 1950s. I’m glad to see it still looks so good!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Nice camp grounds. You were not far from my son in New Jersey. Lots of pearls to be found in that area.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2008 at 12:17 PM

New Jersey?!! Who knew! I'm saddened (though hardly surprised) to learn that state parks and things might be closing due to budget constraints.

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Delaware Water Gap

Have you been to Delaware Water Gap?

Latest Activity in Delaware Water Gap