"Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area" Delaware Water Gap by AlbuqRay
Delaware Water Gap Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 52 photos
Both references in Virtualtourist for the Delaware Water Gap are for the Pennsylvania side. This is probably because the Gap itself is near the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA. Also, the headquarters for the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is near Bushkill, PA. In the 1960's, a dam was planned upstream from the Gap at Tocks Island, but was never built. Land for the proposed reservoir had already been purchased on both sides of the river (NJ and PA) for ~40 miles. The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area was created from the land acquired for the planned reservoir. BTW, I hope DWGapper (Peg) does not mind me referencing it, but you should read her wonderful travelogue on the town and its history. Actually she has not signed back on VT since 2003, so I think it will be okay.
I wanted to write about the Old Mine Road area on the New Jersey side in the Worthington State Forest, which is where I went. Even though I only drove through the town (see, I should have read Peg's travelogue before I went) on my way to NJ, I put the tips under the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA, to make them easier to find. The picture shows a guy fly fishing for trout below the upper waterfall on the stream above Van Campen's Glen. I watched him catch and release a couple of fish (see one of the videos; okay, okay; at VT resolution you can barely see him, much less the fish).
The Delaware Water Gap Bridge spans the river near the Pennsylvania town of Delaware Water Gap (which is where I decided to put these tips even though they are about the NJ side) and carries I-80. When you are going east (actually southeast) on I-80 and cross the river, the Kittatinny Point Visitor Center is at the exit immediately on the right as you enter the New Jersey side. If you turn back west and go under the bridge on the road shown in this picture, you will reach Old Mine Road. See also the video taken at this spot.
The start of the Old Mine Road is one lane near the I-80 bridge, so there is a traffic light that only let's the cars go one direction at a time, i.e., either north or south. The wait can be 3 minutes but it is worth it. Van Campen's Glen is about 10 miles north of the bridge on the east side of the road.
- Pros:Quiet, clean stream with trout and nearby campgrounds
- Cons:Due to lack of budget, NJ may be closing some of these places
- In a nutshell:I thought I was on a trout stream in New Mexico, not New Jersey
The online Reader's Digest Advice and Know-How about the Delaware River Loop scenic drive tells us: "The first... more travel advice
The Point of Gap Overlook is on the Pennsylvania side on PA-611 between the towns of Delaware Water Gap and Portland.... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Delaware Water Gap Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area"
- "The Delaware Water Gap"
- "Delaware Water Gap, the Gateway to the Poconos"
- "remosito's new Delaware Water Gap Page"
- "A Sleepy Town with a Bustling Resort History"
- "Delaware Water Gap"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delaware Water Gap
- Transportation in Delaware Water Gap
- Warnings and Dangers in Delaware Water Gap
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delaware Water Gap
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Delaware Water Gap?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delaware Water Gap
- Posted in Travel Cambodia Forum "Re: How long a Trip?"
- updated a Delaware Water Gap Travel Page "Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kittatinny Point Visitor Center"
- Wrote a Review Van Campen's Glen Picnic Area in Delaware Water Gap Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Delaware Water Gap
Photos in Delaware Water GapSee All Photos (23)
Videos in Delaware Water GapSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues