"Born There but a Visitor Now" Top 5 Page for this destination Tulsa by AlbuqRay
Tulsa Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 385 photos
Based on the discovery of the Glenn Pool oil field in 1905, Tulsa became the "Oil Capital of the World." Oil money helped Tulsa become what it is today but much of the oil-based business moved to Houston many years ago. In 1963 the Oklahoma Petroleum Council, later to be merged into the Mid-Continent Oil & Gas Association, and the Oklahoma Historical Society began a cooperative program to mark some of the significant sites and events in the history of the petroleum industry in Oklahoma. Many of these sites are in the Tulsa area and are documented with markers.
The International Oil Exposition was once held every five years at the Tulsa Fairgrounds. By the time of the sixteenth exhibition in 1971, it had grown to include more than five hundred of the world's leading petroleum manufacturers, services, and supply companies. The exhibits were valued at more than $1,000,000,000. However, I don't think it has been held since 1980. I remember that they used to have a real oil rig actually drilling at each Exposition and it would always strike oil! However, at the time Tulsa did not allow drilling within the city limits like Oklahoma City, so the field was not developed.
Although much of the downtown area had already changed (mostly due to urban renewal programs) by the time I left Tulsa to go to graduate school in 1964, it is even more different now. I should take the self-guided tour myself. If you lived in Tulsa in the "old days," you may find Linda Haas Davenport's web pages very interesting.
I never realized there were so many churches in downtown Tulsa. Urban renewal has made them more visible. Boston Avenue Methodist Church is the most famous because of its unique architecture. Oral Roberts University has some unique architecture too. I'll put some pictures in the tips about it. I wonder if Tulsa is still considered the buckle of the "Bible Belt."
Actually we moved into this house when I was in the 6th grade. We sold it after my mom moved to Albuquerque and someone has really fixed it up.
- Pros:Beautiful midwestern city that used to be the oil capital of the world
- Cons:Summer humidity and chiggers
- In a nutshell:The place of my youth
After living in the Grotto Courts after World War II, we moved to the "Veterans Project" at the Fairgrounds (now Expo... more travel advice
Chicken Char was a small restaurant near 71st Street and Riverside Drive. It was no frills but good food and we always... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Tulsa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tulsa - A Treasure Worth Discovering"
- "Livin' On Tulsa Time"
- "Born There but a Visitor Now"
- "Livin' on Tulsa Time"
- "Judi's Hometown"
- "...Bagged a deer at the weekend !!!...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tulsa
- Hotels in Tulsa
- Transportation in Tulsa
- Nightlife in Tulsa
- Restaurants in Tulsa
- Shopping in Tulsa
- Warnings and Dangers in Tulsa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tulsa
- 13 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Tulsa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tulsa
Photos in TulsaSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues