"Born There but a Visitor Now" Top 5 Page for this destination Tulsa by AlbuqRay

Tulsa Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 385 photos

Former Oil Capital of the World

Based on the discovery of the Glenn Pool oil field in 1905, Tulsa became the "Oil Capital of the World." Oil money helped Tulsa become what it is today but much of the oil-based business moved to Houston many years ago. In 1963 the Oklahoma Petroleum Council, later to be merged into the Mid-Continent Oil & Gas Association, and the Oklahoma Historical Society began a cooperative program to mark some of the significant sites and events in the history of the petroleum industry in Oklahoma. Many of these sites are in the Tulsa area and are documented with markers.

The International Oil Exposition was once held every five years at the Tulsa Fairgrounds. By the time of the sixteenth exhibition in 1971, it had grown to include more than five hundred of the world's leading petroleum manufacturers, services, and supply companies. The exhibits were valued at more than $1,000,000,000. However, I don't think it has been held since 1980. I remember that they used to have a real oil rig actually drilling at each Exposition and it would always strike oil! However, at the time Tulsa did not allow drilling within the city limits like Oklahoma City, so the field was not developed.

Although much of the downtown area had already changed (mostly due to urban renewal programs) by the time I left Tulsa to go to graduate school in 1964, it is even more different now. I should take the self-guided tour myself. If you lived in Tulsa in the "old days," you may find Linda Haas Davenport's web pages very interesting.

Churches in Tulsa

I never realized there were so many churches in downtown Tulsa. Urban renewal has made them more visible. Boston Avenue Methodist Church is the most famous because of its unique architecture. Oral Roberts University has some unique architecture too. I'll put some pictures in the tips about it. I wonder if Tulsa is still considered the buckle of the "Bible Belt."

My Former House

Actually we moved into this house when I was in the 6th grade. We sold it after my mom moved to Albuquerque and someone has really fixed it up.

• Pros:Beautiful midwestern city that used to be the oil capital of the world
  • Cons:Summer humidity and chiggers
  • In a nutshell:The place of my youth
  • Last visit to Tulsa: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2013

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Going back to look at your old hometown is pretty neat. Bittersweet, no?

• May 29, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Los Cabos has some of the worst Mexican food in Tulsa. The wait staff is friendly, but the food is really lacking in flavor.

• NYMansour's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 9:53 AM

I really like the fact that your photo is still on the wall....what a great thing! I think that is awesome!!! :)

• Wann's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 9:32 AM

Very nice page Ray !!! It looks like you had a great time at the Reunion !!!! .... W.

AlbuqRay Used To Live Here!

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Tulsa