"A Week in Rochester, New York" Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester by AlbuqRay
Rochester Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 465 photos
Rochester is the third largest urban area in New York State. It is located near where the Genesee River runs into Lake Ontario and has a population of about 250,000. Rochester is the home of Eastman Kodak. At one time, it was also Xerox's headquarters. As a result, there are many associated industries there. It is still known as the world capital of imaging. There are also several colleges, universities and museums in the area.
We were attending a conference in Rochester but stayed an extra day and took a day trip to Niagara Falls, which is just 90 miles away (see my Day Trip to Niagara Falls travelogue below). Bill and Elinor at the Darthmouth House recommended that we take the back way on Ridge Road (NYS-104) and it was a very good recommendation. Along the way, we turned north on NYS-98 at the Cobblestone Society Museum and went to Point Breeze on Lake Ontario. It was definitely a side trip worth making. I have included a couple of tips and a travelogue here. It is an easy 45 mile drive from Rochester to Point Breeze; however, they are like two different worlds.
The convention center is across the Genesee River from Aqueduct Park. From the color of the water, I would advise that you not fall into or swim in the river; however, there was no bad aroma. Too bad the water is not clean like at Niagara Falls.
There are Tudor style homes in the historical district near Park Avenue. They were built in the early 1900's. Go to my travelogue on the Dartmouth House B&B to see the inside of one of these houses.
- Pros:Clean; friendly; many educational, cultural and historical sites.
- Cons:People say that it is winter there for 10 of 12 months.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful place with lots of culture but go in the summer.
The Niagara Falls State Park is on the American side. It has an excellent website with a map (shown here) and what to... more travel advice
A small river runs into Lake Ontario at Point Breeze. You may launch your boat for free there. more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Rochester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rochester, NY... Used to be....."
- "A River Runs Through it"
- "Rochester: Home Sweet Home"
- "A Week in Rochester, New York"
- "Rochester- Little City, Big Heart"
- "ROCHESTER , NEW YORK"
- "2 nights in Rochester on Business"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rochester
- Hotels in Rochester
- Transportation in Rochester
- Nightlife in Rochester
- Restaurants in Rochester
- Shopping in Rochester
- Warnings and Dangers in Rochester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rochester
- 8 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Rochester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rochester
Photos in RochesterSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues