Santa Fe Local Custom Tips by AlbuqRay
Santa Fe Local Customs: 28 reviews and 43 photos
Fiesta de Santa Fe has a long history, having been held every year since 1712 to celebrate the retaking of the city in 1692 by Don Diego de Vargas after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. The burning of Zozobra, Old Man Gloom, starts three days of celebration that include: mass at Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi; a reenactment of the Entrada, when de Vargas returned to the city; a Children's Pet Parade; the Historical/Hysterical Parade; the Fiesta Ball and Roman Catholic masses of thanksgiving. These pictures are from the 2005 Entrada.
Mariachi Band on the Santa Fe Plaza
According to Wikipedia, mariachi is a type of musical group, originally from Jalisco, in Mexico. Usually a mariachi consists of at least two violins, two trumpets, one Mexican guitar, one vihuela (a high-pitched, five-string guitar) and one guitarrón (a small-scaled acoustic bass). The vihuela and guitarrón must be included for a group to be considered a mariachi. They dress in silver studded charro outfits with wide-brimmed hats. The original mariachi were Mexican street musicians or buskers.
During the Fiesta de Santa Fe on Labor Day weekend, the Mariachi Extraveganza de Santa Fe is held at the Opera House; however, mariachi bands also stroll around the Plaza singing and playing.
More Reviews (21)
- See All New Mexico Museum of Art
- Mystical Powers
- See All Important Spot to Know in Santa Fe
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Santa Fe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Pristine Winter Wonderland--Santa Fe,New Mexico"
- "Santa Fe, New Mexico"
- ""Fanta Se""
- "La Villa Real de la Santa Fe"
- "Steep in History"
- "The City Different"
- "Santa Fe Days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Fe
- Hotels in Santa Fe
- Transportation in Santa Fe
- Nightlife in Santa Fe
- Restaurants in Santa Fe
- Shopping in Santa Fe
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Fe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Fe
- 23 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Santa Fe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Fe
- Posted in Travel Siem Reap Forum "Re: How do we spend 8 Days in..."
- Wrote a Review New Mexico Museum of Art in Santa Fe Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "New Mexico Museum of Art"
- updated a Santa Fe Travelogue "Cathedral Basilica Nativity Scene"
- Commented on one of SFHulaGIrl's Santa Fe travel pages
Photos in Santa FeSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues