"VT Artists Retreat and Associated Road Trips" Questa by AlbuqRay
Questa Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 237 photos
The First Annual VT Artists Retreat was held at the Takoja Retreat Center near Questa, NM, on 1-4 Sep 06. There were seven charter attendees (see above). Not only were the workshops excellent, the location was wonderful. It had been an unusually wet August, so even the wildflowers were special.
"Tah-Ho-sha" is a structure of two half domes with a connecting building. It was affectionately called the whispering gallery. You could hear any appreciable sound anywhere. This does not "sound" good at first but it actually brings people closer together. One immediately becomes conscious of how one affects others. There were a kitchen and bathroom on the ground floor, as well as areas for sitting, dining and sleeping. In addition, each dome had a sleeping loft with a bathroom. See the accommodation tip below for more pictures.
Takoja is located on the east side of NM-522 about 5 miles north of Questa, NM (which is ~20 miles north of Taos), at the Latir Road turnoff. The Sangre de Christo mountains are immediately to the east. For now, I shall include tips and pictures here from the road trips to and from Albuquerque to Takoja, even though some are really not that close to Questa. The road trip to Questa included a stop at Gabriel's Restaurant and a stop in Dixon to visit La Chiripada Winery and a local artist's studio.
On the way back to Taos, I stopped at the Kagyu Mila Guru Stupa and Red River State Trout Hatchery before taking a side trip to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. From Taos, I went the "back way," i.e., using the historical High Road (NM-518 to NM-75 to NM-76) to get to Espanola. Along the way I traveled through the forests of the Sangre de Christo Mountains, stopped at a small cemetery in the village of Rio Lucio near Penasco, enjoyed a sculpture garden in Chamisal, visited the historical church in Las Trampas, and toured the famous Santuario de Chimayo.
- Pros:Stunning scenery and perfect Fall weather
- Cons:Better bring what you need with you (like black pepper)
- In a nutshell:Some of the best of rural New Mexico
I listened in awe as Misha led her students in this workshop. Who knew when she started them just thinking about a... more travel advice
We were all very fortunate to have a beading workshop by Kymba. Some people (well, me) did not even try to understand... more travel advice
- See All Best Winery in New Mexico?
- See All Smudging Ceremony
- See All Santuario de Chimayo - Long a Holy Site
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Questa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VT Artists Retreat and Associated Road Trips"
- "My quest in Questa"
- "First Annual VT Artist's Meet in Questa, NM"
- "Questa, New Mexico"
- "Ray’s Questa."
- "Basaic Questa Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Questa
- Hotels in Questa
- Transportation in Questa
- Nightlife in Questa
- Restaurants in Questa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Questa
- 22 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Questa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Questa
Photos in QuestaSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues