"Legacy of a Lost Culture" Chaco Culture National Historical Park by AlbuqRay
Chaco Culture National Historical Park Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 166 photos
I live in Albuquerque but it had been many years since I visited Chaco Canyon. Since I was going to a jujube tree workshop at the NMSU Alcalde Sustainable Agriculture Science Center near Espanola, NM, on 29 Sep 2011, I decided to take a road trip in north central New Mexico after the workshop. A question in a VT forum in Feb 2011 about where to stay near Cuba, NM, when visiting Chaco Canyon led me to find the Suenos Encantados B&B. Located on a remote, historical ranch, it looked like an interesting place to visit just on its own. I included both Chaco and the B&B in my road trip itinerary.
Since Goodfish (Kate) already has such excellent tips on Chaco Canyon, I'll mostly just supplement what she has covered and reference my Shutterfly website on the jujube workshop and road trip. There are like 75 pics in the Places album of scenes and things on the road into Chaco (starting at picture #224) and 474 pics with descriptions in the Chaco album itself. Two of the nine travelogues here show and describe how to get to Chaco Canyon from US-550. There are also a couple of videoclips: one of Chaco Canyon taken from Pueblo Bonito on the north side and the other of the canyon taken from the Casa Rinconada Great Kiva on the south side.
Note that VT has two destinations in their taxonomy with reviews that reference Chaco: Chaco Canyon National Monument (the designation from 1907 to 1980) and Chaco Culture National Historical Park (the current name of the park). Goodfish's tips are under the former. There is actually a third VT destination, Chaco Culture National Historic Park Historical Marker, but at least there are no reviews under it.
I ended up spending two nights at the beautiful and historical Suenos Encantados B&B. It is definitely a place for enchanting dreams. See my tips on Cuba, NM, for the details on Casa Viejo, La Capilla and the main house. Suenos Encantados is ~77 miles and 1.5 hours from Chaco Canyon, including the 21 miles on the road in from US-550. Chaco is an amazing place and I spent a whole day touring the sites. After surviving the 10 miles of the badly washboarded dirt road (of the 21 miles) each way on the route into and out of Chaco, it was wonderful to relax and watch the sunset at Suenos Encantados B&B.
- Pros:Amazing historical ruins and beautiful vistas
- Cons:10 miles of washboard road each way when going in and out
- In a nutshell:Remote site but well worth the effort to get there
Chaco backcountry hiking opportunities include the Pueblo Alto Trail, Penasco Blanco Trail, South Mesa Trail, and Wijiji... more travel advice
Talus Unit is a small structure composed of east and west room blocks located against the cliff behind the back wall of... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Chaco Culture National Historical Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Legacy of a Lost Culture"
- "Chaco Culture National HIstorical Park"
- "Basaic Chaco Culture National Historic Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- Transportation in Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- 17 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Chaco Culture National Historical Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- Posted in Travel Albuquerque Forum "Re: Itinerary question"
- updated a Chaco Culture National Historical Park Travel Page "Legacy of a Lost Culture"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Petroglyph Trail"
- Wrote a Review Chaco Backcountry Hiking Trails in Chaco Culture National Historical Park Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Chaco Culture National Historical Park
Photos in Chaco Culture National Historical ParkSee All Photos (152)
Videos in Chaco Culture National Historical ParkSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues