"No Longer a National Monument" Chaco Canyon National Monument by AlbuqRay
Chaco Canyon National Monument Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 93 photos
Note that VT has two destinations in their taxonomy with reviews that reference Chaco: Chaco Canyon National Monument and Chaco Culture National Historical Park (the current name of the park). There is actually a third destination, Chaco Culture National Historic Park Historical Marker, but at least there are no reviews under it.
A National Historical Park is defined as an area that generally extends beyond single properties or buildings, and its resources include a mix of historic and sometimes significant natural features. There are now 60 former National Monuments and Chaco Canyon is one of them.
As of 2010, there were 41 National Historical Parks measuring 119,049 acres (481.7 km²) and 78 National Historic Sites measuring 21,677 acres (87.7 km²). Most National Historical Parks and National Historic Sites are managed by the National Park Service. Some federally-designated sites are privately owned, but are authorized to request assistance from the National Park Service as affiliated areas.
I decided to put my VT Chaco reviews, "Legacy of a Lost Culture," under the current designation, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, but be sure to read Goodfish's (Kate's) excellent reviews here under Chaco Canyon National Monument. I also have a Shutterfly website. There are like 75 pics in the Places album of scenes and things on the road into Chaco (starting at picture #224) and 474 pics with descriptions in the Chaco album itself.
- Pros:Amazing historical ruins and beautiful vistas
- Cons:10 miles of washboard road each way when going in and out
- In a nutshell:Remote site but well worth the effort to get there
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Chaco Canyon National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yupkoyvi: "The Place beyond the Horizon""
- "Chaco Canyon National Historic Park"
- "12th Century Capitol of the USA"
- "Chaco Canyon March 2005"
- "Chaco Canyon National Monument"
- "CHACO CANYON"
- "Stonework that Dates WAY Back"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Hotels in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Transportation in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Chaco Canyon National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chaco Canyon National Monument
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues