Albuquerque Favorite Tips by AlbuqRay Top 5 Page for this destination
Albuquerque Favorites: 44 reviews and 39 photos
Things to Do Table
Favorite thing: Arranged by:
- In Albuquerque itself
- Half days out of Albuquerque
- Day trips out of Albuquerque
- Overnight trips
- Long trips
Note! Original image was high resolution and very readable. I believe that it is still readable in the new VT picture format. However, the picture title sometimes covers part of the left side of the Overnight Trips Section. It should read:
Chaco Culture National Historical Park/Suenos Encantados B&B, Cuba, NM;
Carlsbad Caverns/Living Desert Museum/Sitting Bull Falls;
Abiquiu/Ghost Ranch/Echo Amphitheater/Chama/Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad.
Favorite thing: You may drive from Albuquerque to Gallup in a couple of hours, but I would not recommend that. There are some very interesting things to do in between. Don't miss Acoma Pueblo's Sky City, which is off I-40 less than half way to Gallup. Sky City will take 3-4 hours. I would then recommend going back to I-40 and then turn south on NM-53 at Grants to do the El Malpais cave (~1 hour) and for sure El Morro (~2 hours). Then take NM-602 to Gallup and spend the night in the El Rancho Hotel and Motel. It's a historic hotel where many movie stars used to stay and has a very interesting lobby (see my NM hotel tip).
I have not been to Canyon de Chelly or the three Hopi Reservation mesas, but I have heard they are good. If I were doing it, I would take old US-666 north out of Gallup and, if I survived (it is supposed to be haunted), would turn west on Hwy-264 and then US-191 to Chinle after stopping at the Hubbell Trading Post. I think Canyon de Chelly will take most of a day (jeep tour?). After spending the night, I would go back to Hwy-264 and do the scenic drive across the Hopi mesas to Tuba City. Another alternative would be to go further north on US-191 and see Monument Valley via US-160 and US-163. I would then catch US-89 south and AZ-64 west. Be sure to stop at Desert View on the way to Grand Canyon Village.
Acoma's Sky City
Favorite thing: If the roads are clear (and they usually are, even in the winter), you can drive directly from Albuquerque to Grand Canyon Village in about 6 hours using I-40 and turning north on AZ-64 at Williams, AZ. However, I would recommend an entirely different trip that takes an extra day. I would take I-40 out of Albuquerque, stop at Acoma's Sky City, then take NM-53 to see the El Malpais National Monument and El Morro. Pass through the Zuni Pueblo, then take US-191 back to I-40. If there is time, stop at the Petrified Forest and spend the night in Holbrook. The next morning get an early start and turn north on US-89 at Flagstaff. Do the Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monument loop. Continue north on US-89 to AZ-64 west. It will take you to the Little Colorado Canyon overlook and then the Desert View Watchtower. Continue on East Rim Drive to Grand Canyon Village. See also my Albuquerque travelogues for Western NM and Northern NM.
Backyard Looking East
Favorite thing: We had a record snow in Albuquerque on 29 Dec 06, 11.3 inches (28.7 cm). By the next day it was up to 14" and still snowing. All the 10" snow from the week before was was not even melted yet. I made snow ice cream. Sure was yummy.
Buffalo on Sandia Pueblo
Favorite thing: The Sandia Pueblo is on the north boundary of Albuquerque. Although they are small in population, they own a large amount of land with spectacular geography. Their casino has been hugely successful for them (but maybe not for the people who lose money there). They have started to raise buffalo on their grasslands. The buffalo would not let me get very close. I hope you can see them in the picture. BTW, it is NOT "gaming;" it is GAMBLING.
More Reviews (67)
- See All Transportation Without Car During...
- See All Good Food and Great Prices
- See All Economical During the Balloon Fiesta
- See All Manuel's Food Market
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Albuquerque Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of our 50 is missing ......"
- "Albuquerque - Where I Live and What to See and Do"
- "Albuquerque, New Mexico"
- "Albuquerque - It's a great place!"
- "Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta-Festival Extraordinaire"
- "A place to celebrate"
- "ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albuquerque
- Hotels in Albuquerque
- Transportation in Albuquerque
- Nightlife in Albuquerque
- Restaurants in Albuquerque
- Shopping in Albuquerque
- Warnings and Dangers in Albuquerque
- See All...
Explore the World
- Key West National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Port Louis Hotels
- Fosnavåg Hotels
- Red Wing Hotels
Badges & Stats in Albuquerque
- 72 Reviews
- 234 Photos
- 91 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Albuquerque?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albuquerque
- Posted in Travel Albuquerque Forum "Re: Itinerary question"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Albuquerque tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Things to Do Around Albuquerque"
- Wrote a Review Transportation Without Car During Balloon Fiesta about Trains & Buses in Albuquerque Transportation
- Uploaded a Video to Albuquerque
- updated a Albuquerque Travel Page "Albuquerque - Where I Live and What to See and Do"
Photos in AlbuquerqueSee All Photos (234)
Videos in AlbuquerqueSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues
Latest Albuquerque hotel reviews
- Isleta Casino & Resort Hotel
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Amerisuites Albuquerque Airport
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Albuquerque I 40 Eubank
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites Albuquerque I-25 North
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Quality Inn & Suites Hotel Circle Albuquerque
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Courtyard by Marriott Albuquerque
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque North / Rio Rancho
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Ramada Albuquerque Midtown
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Casa De Suenos
- 197 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Clubhouse Inn And Suites Albuquerque
- 276 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque Uptown
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Sandia Peak Inn Motel Albuquerque
- 375 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Freeway Inn
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2012
- Old Town- 42 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Sandia Peak- 27 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Balloon Fiesta- 32 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Biopark & Zoo- 20 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Volcanoes & Petroglyphs- 16 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Route 66 & Downtown- 12 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Museums- 22 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Regional Cultural Centers- 14 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Views & Vistas- 4 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Local Art & Culture- 10 Reviews, 13 Photos
See All Albuquerque Things to Do