"Almost the Capital of the United States" Top 5 Page for this destination Havre de Grace by AlbuqRay
Havre de Grace Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 264 photos
Havre de Grace is named after the port city of Le Havre, France. Its name in French means "Harbor of Grace." It is located on the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the Susquehanna River in a strategic, but beautiful place. Havre de Grace has a long history, having lost the election to be the Nation's capital to Washington, D.C., by only one vote. I first started going there in the 1970's when I took business trips to nearby Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Now I stop in Havre de Grace when I visit my brother in Pennsylvania. I have not even come close to finishing the things to do there. Having a Walking Map for Havre de Grace is convenient.
From the shore near downtown Havre de Grace, looking upriver for about two miles, you can see two rail bridges and two highway bridges. There are also boats on the river. Its accessibility has made Havre de Grace a popular weekend retreat for people from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore. Many condos have been and are being built along the shoreline.
Amtrak's Susquehanna River Bridge is the first bridge you see looking upriver, then the Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge (US-40). CSX Transportation's Perryville Railroad Bridge is next. It was originally constructed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and carries a heavy volume of rail freight. The Perryville Railroad Bridge crosses the Susquehanna River above US-40 in the area of Garrett Island. The other bridge you can see is the Millard_E._Tydings_Memorial_Bridge (I-95). The next bridge is 9 miles upstream, where US-1 crosses the river over the Conowingo Dam.
There are many interesting museums in Havre de Grace. They include the Susquehanna Museum of Havre de Grace, the Havre de Grace Maritime Museum and the Havre de Grace Decoy Museum.
In 1802, the town was the southern end of the 45-mile Susquehanna Canal and later the longer Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal, which carried freight up and down the Susquehanna River between Havre de Grace and Wrightsville, PA, and connected to the Pennsylvania Canal. The lock keepers house and remnants of the canal are now a museum.
The Maritime Museum's motto is “Where Bay Life Begins.” It's goal is to preserve and interpret the region’s rich maritime heritage. Stop by and see what life in the past was like where the Susquehanna River meets the Chesapeake Bay. The news about the current way of life was not so good according to CNN on 16 Jul 08. The Bay's blue crab stock is down 70 percent since 1990. This makes life hard for the Chesapeake "watermen."
In the 1800's, Havre de Grace area became known for duck hunting. A strong cottage industry of decoy making arose and still exists today. The Havre de Grace Decoy Museum documents this heritage.
- Pros:Beautiful spot on the Chesapeake Bay
- Cons:Can get crowded on the weekends
- In a nutshell:Worth it if only for the view and crab cakes
I have not stayed at these places but they look like good options. Each has their own merits. The Currier House B&B is... more travel advice
The Jean S. Roberts Memorial Park is a small city park with a boat ramp located on the north side of the west end of the... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Havre de Grace Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Havre de Grace - Harbor of Mercy"
- "Sleepy Bayside Town"
- "ferdnbean's new Havre de Grace Page"
- "Havre De Grace, MD"
- "Almost the Capital of the United States"
- "Havre de Grace: Decoy Capital of the World"
- "I can't pronounce "Havre de Grace""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Havre de Grace
- Hotels in Havre de Grace
- Transportation in Havre de Grace
- Restaurants in Havre de Grace
- Shopping in Havre de Grace
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Havre de Grace
- 29 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Havre de Grace?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Havre de Grace
- Posted in Travel New Mexico Forum "Re: 5 days day trips from santa fe"
- updated a Havre de Grace Travel Page "Almost the Capital of the United States"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Havre de Grace travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alliance Street Pier"
- Wrote a Review Other High Quality Lodging in Havre de Grace Hotels
- Uploaded a Video to Havre de Grace
Photos in Havre de GraceSee All Photos (130)
Videos in Havre de GraceSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues