College Park Local Custom Tips by AlbuqRay
College Park Local Customs: 2 reviews and 4 photos
Trying to Get Lucky
Testudo got his start back in 1932, when then football coach Dr. H. Curley Byrd recommended that the diamondback terrapin be made the school mascot. It is also the Maryland state reptile. Rubbing his nose is supposed to bring good luck. That is why Testudo's nose is unusually shiny. Not to pass up a chance for some good luck, I rubbed Testudo's nose while I was there. I did have very good luck in finding the College Park Aviation Museum the next day. However, some young people thought I was Testudo and tried to paint and kidnap me several times. They looked like Johns Hopkins students to me.
Actually there are several Testudos. In 1992 a twin statue of Testudo was placed at Byrd Stadium that the football team and marching band touches for good luck as they pass by on their way to and from the field. There is now also a statue of Testudo outside the Gossett Team House on the outskirts of Byrd Stadium. In 2002, another statue was placed in front of Comcast Center, the school's new basketball arena; and in 2005, a fifth statue (this one hollow) was erected in front of the new Riggs Alumni Center. This last one is the Testudo in my pictures.
More Reviews (30)
- See All Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center
- See All University of Maryland Soccer
- Engineering and Research Corporation...
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
College Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "First Class University and Aviation History"
- "College Park"
- "College Park - Home of the University of Maryland"
- "College Park: History in Our Backyard"
- "s.l.keeling's new College Park Page"
- "Home of the University of Maryland"
- "GO TERPS!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in College Park
- Hotels in College Park
- Restaurants in College Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in College Park
- 31 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to College Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in College Park
Photos in College ParkSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues