"Livermore - Wine and Technology" Livermore by AlbuqRay
Livermore Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 169 photos
Livermore is one of California's older wine regions. Robert Livermore planted the first commercial vines in the 1840s. Pioneer winemakers C. H. Wente, James Concannon, and Charles Wetmore recognized the area's winegrowing potential and founded their wineries in the early 1880s. International recognition followed when Livermore Valley captured America's first international gold medal for wine in 1889 at the Paris Exposition, putting California on the world wine map.
Although the Napa valley is more famous now, there are many (>25) good quality wineries in Livermore and the hills nearby. Nestled in the Livermore Valley between the first and second rows of hills from the coast, the area has an interesting history starting with the Costonoan Indians. Now Livermore is a small city of 80,000 that mixes agriculture with high technology. It is the home of Lawrence Livermore National Lab and enormous wind generator fields.
The hills east of Livermore have one of the largest wind farms in the world. You can visit it by using either Altamont or Patterson Pass. The picture shows only a small portion of what you can actually see. The Altamont Pass portion is seen by more people since I-580 runs through it but I think the views are actually better from Patterson Pass.
- Pros:Quiet; convenient to Bay area; good jobs; good wine
- Cons:Real estate values have skyrocketed and I-580 traffic is bad
- In a nutshell:Small city where agriculture and high tech meet
Kawa Sushi has been in downtown Livermore for a while (since 1998). It may be taken for granted a little now but it is a... more travel advice
Alekos is a new restaurant in the Springtown area of Livermore. In Sep 07 it had been open for ~5 weeks. They have Greek... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Livermore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Livermore - Wine and Technology"
- "A Part of my Past, Present, and Future."
- "My home town"
- "Teeing and Tasting in Livermore, California"
- "Livermore - Vineyards and Wine Tasting"
- "Thalor's Livermore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Livermore
- Hotels in Livermore
- Transportation in Livermore
- Nightlife in Livermore
- Restaurants in Livermore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Livermore
- 20 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Livermore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Livermore
Photos in LivermoreSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues