"Livermore - Wine and Technology" Livermore by AlbuqRay

Livermore Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 152 photos

Grape Vines in Town and on the Hills

Livermore is one of California's older wine regions. Robert Livermore planted the first commercial vines in the 1840s. Pioneer winemakers C. H. Wente, James Concannon, and Charles Wetmore recognized the area's winegrowing potential and founded their wineries in the early 1880s. International recognition followed when Livermore Valley captured America's first international gold medal for wine in 1889 at the Paris Exposition, putting California on the world wine map.

Although the Napa valley is more famous now, there are many (>25) good quality wineries in Livermore and the hills nearby. Nestled in the Livermore Valley between the first and second rows of hills from the coast, the area has an interesting history starting with the Costonoan Indians. Now Livermore is a small city of 80,000 that mixes agriculture with high technology. It is the home of Lawrence Livermore National Lab and enormous wind generator fields.

Wind Energy

The hills east of Livermore have one of the largest wind farms in the world. You can visit it by using either Altamont or Patterson Pass. The picture shows only a small portion of what you can actually see. The Altamont Pass portion is seen by more people since I-580 runs through it but I think the views are actually better from Patterson Pass.

• Pros:Quiet; convenient to Bay area; good jobs; good wine
  • Cons:Real estate values have skyrocketed and I-580 traffic is bad
  • In a nutshell:Small city where agriculture and high tech meet
  • Last visit to Livermore: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2008

• Apr 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Great hotel. I was very impressed with the staff at this hotel. They were very friendly and made my stay here much better than previous visits to other hotels in the area. I will definately return here on my next visit.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Now I'm going to the fridge...I got hungry reading your tipsLOL

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Great page! Yeah, 360 Burrito! I ate there a lot when I was based at OAK airport.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 2:56 AM

enjoyed your page and its many restaurant tips. Thanks

AlbuqRay Visits Here Frequently!

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Livermore

Have you been to Livermore?