"Tempe - High Class University Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Tempe by AlbuqRay
Tempe Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 216 photos
Mill Avenue runs on the west side of the Arizona State University campus. Contrary to many business areas next to universities, the Mill Avenue District is filled with excellent restaurants, pubs, nightclubs and shops. There are also many park areas with nice public art. The new light rail system will cut across the north end soon. It is under construction now. Take a look at the Mill Avenue cams.
The old Hayden Flour Mill is located at the north end of Mill Avenue where there used to be a ferry across the Salt River. Over the years there were three Hayden Mills. The first was a water-powered, two-story adobe building. It opened for business in 1874, and burned down about 15 years later. A second adobe mill burned in 1917. Again the mill was rebuilt - part of this structure is what still stands at the site east of Hayden Butte, on the north end of Mill Avenue. The grain elevator and seven silos were added in 1951. Although the mill was once water-powered, except for the Tempe Town Lake, you can just walk across the river just about anywhere now.
Papago Park is a large desert park just across the river from the north end of Mill Avenue. It has beautiful red rock formations and many hiking and biking trails. A botanical garden, a zoo, a museum and public fishing lakes are located there also.
- Pros:Great restaurants, entertainment, sporting events and educational opportunities
- Cons:Really hot in the summertime
- In a nutshell:High quality of life in an urban setting.
The My Big Fat Greek Restaurant in Tempe is part of a small five-restaurant, Phoenix area chain. I have eaten there... more travel advice
The 25-acre Tempe Beach Park is adjacent to the Tempe Town Lake. Many special events are held there, including Iron Man... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Tempe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tempe - High Class University Town"
- "A few days in Tempe"
- "Jumping Around Tempe!"
- "Great small town atmosphere"
- "My Feelings Toward This Town are Pretty Split"
- "The University Town"
- "Basaic Tempe Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tempe
- Hotels in Tempe
- Transportation in Tempe
- Nightlife in Tempe
- Restaurants in Tempe
- Shopping in Tempe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tempe
- 19 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Tempe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tempe
Photos in TempeSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues