"Really Nice Once You Get There" Seldovia by AlbuqRay
Seldovia Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 149 photos
The day I was supposed to cruise over to Seldovia from Homer was very windy and the M/V Discovery got cancelled. I was able to fly over using Smokey Bay Air though. The takeoff and flight over were uneventful except for the beautiful scenery; however, the landing was a little fun on such a windy day (until the ground effect kicked in).
The trip was absolutely worth it though. Seldovia was my favorite place on the Kenai Peninsula. It is a beautiful location with clear water and does not have the crowds that both Homer and Seward have. Also note that Seldovia has one of the best websites that you will find anywhere. Be sure to take a look (click on either Seldovia link here). My congratulations to whomever built it. It really helped me plan my trip there and the map was excellent.
Actually there was a benefit to the windy weather. None of the boats could make it there that day, so there were no crowds. Seldovia's population is 283 humans, so when I say uncrowded I mean uncrowded. I seldom saw anyone at any of the regular tourist locations such as Inside Beach, Otterbahn Trail, Outside Beach, the old Russian Church, and the Old Boardwalk. I just stayed one night and the next day was totally calm. I had to fly back in the early afternoon to make my itinerary work (the boats don't leave until ~6 PM). Ah well, guess I'll have to go back to take the cruise.
Seldovia has a small harbor with clear water. Like Homer, the water level varies greatly with the tides, so all the docks go up and down on the posts that you see in the picture. The large old ship on the right is the Husky II. A friend of mine used to be on the crew when it went to Bethel. It is no longer used and is considered an eye sore by the locals. I took pics for Mike though (see the Husky II travelogue below).
- Pros:Beautiful location, nice people and good food
- Cons:A little hard to get there
- In a nutshell:My favorite place on the Kenai Peninsula
You only take a boat or fly to Seldovia. The three main boats are the M/V Tustumena Ferry, M/V Discovery and M/V Rainbow... more travel advice
Although I never saw one, evidently Seldovia has plenty of bears. They are black bears and not the large brown bears.... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Seldovia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Southcentral Alaska"
- "Really Nice Once You Get There"
- "Town to get away in"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seldovia
- Hotels in Seldovia
- Transportation in Seldovia
- Nightlife in Seldovia
- Restaurants in Seldovia
- Shopping in Seldovia
- Warnings and Dangers in Seldovia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seldovia
- 18 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Seldovia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seldovia
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: East Neuk via public transport"
- updated a Seldovia Travel Page "Really Nice Once You Get There"
- Uploaded a Video to Seldovia
- Uploaded a Photo to "Husky II Circa 1978"
- Wrote a Review Seldovia Airport in Seldovia Transportation
- Commented on one of extremist's Seldovia travel pages
Photos in SeldoviaSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues