"Really Nice Once You Get There" Seldovia by AlbuqRay

Seldovia Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 149 photos

Exciting Flight from Homer to Seldovia

The day I was supposed to cruise over to Seldovia from Homer was very windy and the M/V Discovery got cancelled. I was able to fly over using Smokey Bay Air though. The takeoff and flight over were uneventful except for the beautiful scenery; however, the landing was a little fun on such a windy day (until the ground effect kicked in).

The trip was absolutely worth it though. Seldovia was my favorite place on the Kenai Peninsula. It is a beautiful location with clear water and does not have the crowds that both Homer and Seward have. Also note that Seldovia has one of the best websites that you will find anywhere. Be sure to take a look (click on either Seldovia link here). My congratulations to whomever built it. It really helped me plan my trip there and the map was excellent.

Downtown Seldovia

Actually there was a benefit to the windy weather. None of the boats could make it there that day, so there were no crowds. Seldovia's population is 283 humans, so when I say uncrowded I mean uncrowded. I seldom saw anyone at any of the regular tourist locations such as Inside Beach, Otterbahn Trail, Outside Beach, the old Russian Church, and the Old Boardwalk. I just stayed one night and the next day was totally calm. I had to fly back in the early afternoon to make my itinerary work (the boats don't leave until ~6 PM). Ah well, guess I'll have to go back to take the cruise.

Seldovia Harbor

Seldovia has a small harbor with clear water. Like Homer, the water level varies greatly with the tides, so all the docks go up and down on the posts that you see in the picture. The large old ship on the right is the Husky II. A friend of mine used to be on the crew when it went to Bethel. It is no longer used and is considered an eye sore by the locals. I took pics for Mike though (see the Husky II travelogue below).

• Pros:Beautiful location, nice people and good food
  • Cons:A little hard to get there
  • In a nutshell:My favorite place on the Kenai Peninsula
  • Last visit to Seldovia: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2010

• alywang's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 6:33 PM

I have read the pages about Bethel, Seldovia, Kenai. I will be back to read your other Alaska pages. Seldovia does look beautiful. You did a great job on the pages you traveled. hehe, I could never do as good as you:)

• Sep 8, 2007 at 3:48 PM

just as i remembered seldovia, quiet, quaint, the trails did a fantastic job of describing and showing pictures

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Seldovia

Have you been to Seldovia?

Latest Activity in Seldovia