"Ninilchik - "Peaceful Settlement By a River"" Ninilchik by AlbuqRay
Ninilchik Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 32 photos
Ninilchik is a small town of about 800 people on the Sterling Highway between Kenai and Homer. The word "Ninilchik" may mean "a lodge by the river" or "porcupine creek" in the Dena'ina language, but some say it means "peaceful settlement by a river" now. The name Ninilchik is used today, however, to refer to the original village as well as the community that has grown up around it, which extends north, east, and south from the river along the Sterling Highway from mile markers 134 to 138. Residents of Ninilchik sometimes refer to the original village as Ninilchik Village.
Ninilchik has an interesting history, including both Russian and Alaska Native heritage. The original inhabitants were Dena'ina Indians. The area was also settled by a Russian Orthodox missionary and his family in 1847, i.e., Grigorii Kvasnikov (Anglicized to Kvasnikoff), his Russian-Alutiiq wife Mavra (daughter of Agrafena of Afognak), and their children. The descendants of Grigorii and Mavra are chronicled in the book "Agrafena's Children."
The 1880, United States Census listed 53 "Creoles" living in Ninilchik in nine extended families. All nine founding families of Ninilchik are descendants of the Kvasnikoffs and Dena'ina natives. In 1896, a school was built. In 1901, the Russian Orthodox Church was redesigned and constructed at its current site. Today Ninilchik is one of the largest settlements of Russians in Alaska.
The Ninilchik River is just 21 miles long but is popular for its salmon fishing. The mud flats formed by it are known for their razor clams. Halibut can also be caught in Cook Inlet close to Ninilchik. The town is really busy three times a year. First, on Memorial Day weekend when the king salmon season opens and anglers pack the river banks. Secondly, in early July during the Ninilchik Rodeo, and thirdly, during the "Biggest Little Fair in Alaska" on the third weekend in August. I was there on 4 and 7 Aug 07, so I missed the Fair.
- Pros:Beautiful location and Russian Orthodox church
- Cons:Maybe too quiet for some people
- In a nutshell:Good fishing, great clams and biggest little fair
The original village is located at the mouth of the Ninilchik River. A small harbor has been constructed near the mouth... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Ninilchik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bringing in The Boat"
- "larsy's Ninilchik Page"
- "Ninilchik - "Peaceful Settlement By a River""
- "Russian village"
- "Ninilchik, Alaska"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ninilchik
- Hotels in Ninilchik
- Nightlife in Ninilchik
- Restaurants in Ninilchik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ninilchik
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Ninilchik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ninilchik
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "Re: highlands for nine nights by..."
- updated a Ninilchik Travel Page "Ninilchik - "Peaceful Settlement By a River""
- Wrote a Review Ninilchik Village in Ninilchik Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ninilchik Village"
- Commented on one of extremist's Ninilchik travel pages
Photos in NinilchikSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues