"Kenai the Town and Not the Peninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Kenai by AlbuqRay

Kenai Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 240 photos

Best Ever Visitors Center

The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center may be the best visitors' center I have ever seen. It is more like a museum than a visitors' center. Additionally, the Center had both an art exhibit and a book signing on the Saturday I was there. There were also many things going on nearby. The Saturday Market was just across the parking lot. Old Town Kenai was just 3-4 blocks down the street. To top it off, it was all free!

Old Town Kenai

Even though it was a rainy, foggy day on 4 Aug 2007, I did the Old Town Kenai walking tour. The area has been inhabited since at least 8000 BC and has a long, varied history. As in many of the older towns on the Kenai Peninsula, a Russian influence remains, including the Kenai Russian Orthodox church that is still having weekly services.

Kenai River from Saint Nicholas Chapel

This is the view of the Kenai River mouth from the Chapel of Saint Nicholas, which is on the bluff above the river. You can see why the Russian Redoubt Nikolaevsk was located near here in 1791. It would be interesting to know who has stood at this spot before.

• Pros:Great B&B and the best visitors' center ever
  • Cons:Rainy and foggy while I was there
  • In a nutshell:Good cross-section of peninsular Alaska
  • Last visit to Kenai: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2011

• Sep 23, 2007 at 8:39 PM

you even found my favoritist place in the whole world for caramel apple pie and a bre've and listen to local music!! Veronica's I take all my new folk to that place for a treat! Good Job

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Kenai