"Kenai the Town and Not the Peninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Kenai by AlbuqRay
Kenai Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 240 photos
The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center may be the best visitors' center I have ever seen. It is more like a museum than a visitors' center. Additionally, the Center had both an art exhibit and a book signing on the Saturday I was there. There were also many things going on nearby. The Saturday Market was just across the parking lot. Old Town Kenai was just 3-4 blocks down the street. To top it off, it was all free!
Even though it was a rainy, foggy day on 4 Aug 2007, I did the Old Town Kenai walking tour. The area has been inhabited since at least 8000 BC and has a long, varied history. As in many of the older towns on the Kenai Peninsula, a Russian influence remains, including the Kenai Russian Orthodox church that is still having weekly services.
This is the view of the Kenai River mouth from the Chapel of Saint Nicholas, which is on the bluff above the river. You can see why the Russian Redoubt Nikolaevsk was located near here in 1791. It would be interesting to know who has stood at this spot before.
- Pros:Great B&B and the best visitors' center ever
- Cons:Rainy and foggy while I was there
- In a nutshell:Good cross-section of peninsular Alaska
Louie's Steak and Seafood Restaurant in the Uptown Motel was highly recommended. It is on the Kenai Spur Highway near... more travel advice
A couple of friends of mine had stayed at the Log Cabin Inn before and recommended it. It is south of Kenai on the... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Kenai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kenai River and King Salmon"
- "The Kenai Peninsula"
- "Kenai Peninsula - A Great Place to Visit in Alaska"
- "Kenai the Town and Not the Peninsula"
- "JUmping Around Kenai!"
- "larsy's new Kenai/Soldotna Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kenai
- Hotels in Kenai
- Transportation in Kenai
- Nightlife in Kenai
- Restaurants in Kenai
- Shopping in Kenai
- Warnings and Dangers in Kenai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kenai
- 19 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Kenai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kenai
- Posted in Travel Northern Territory Forum "Re: Places to stay in NT and time..."
- updated a Kenai Travel Page "Kenai the Town and Not the Peninsula"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Holy Assumption Russian Orthodox Church"
- Wrote a Review Don't Bump Your Head on the Moose Nose in Kenai Restaurants
- Commented on one of PA2AKgirl's Kenai travel pages
Photos in KenaiSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues