"Just North of Happy Valley" Happy Valley by AlbuqRay
Happy Valley Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos
There is a paved pullout on the Sterling Highway just north of Happy Valley about 8.5 miles south of Ninilchik. The day that I was headed south, it was rainy and foggy. I stopped to stretch my legs and noticed there was a path across the field leading to the edge of the bluff. I walked over and could only see the surf against the shore.
When I was going back from Homer to Seward, it was a bright, clear day. I found out why there was a path worn across the field... the view is fantastic! Mount Iliamna is directly across the Cook Inlet and Mount Redoubt a little to the north. Mount Spurr is further north. You may even see Mount Augustine to the south if it is a very clear day. I'll put some pictures here and in a couple of tips. I'll also post a video clip that scans the horizon. I would definitely recommend stopping here on your way to Homer. To get an idea of the scale of things, the black dots at the edge of the bluff on the right side are people.
A path is worn across the field. It leads to the edge of a very steep bluff.
As you can see from this picture, the bluff is very steep and does not always have support under the edge. I played it safe and did not get too close to the edge.
- Pros:Fantastic view on a clear day
- Cons:Not much to see on a foggy day
- In a nutshell:I was happy that I stopped near Happy Valley
Mount Iliamna is directly across the Cook Inlet and Mount Redoubt a little to the north. Mount Spurr is further north.... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Happy Valley Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Happy Valley
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Happy Valley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Happy Valley
Photos in Happy ValleySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues