"Just North of Happy Valley" Happy Valley by AlbuqRay

Happy Valley Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos

Fantastic View

There is a paved pullout on the Sterling Highway just north of Happy Valley about 8.5 miles south of Ninilchik. The day that I was headed south, it was rainy and foggy. I stopped to stretch my legs and noticed there was a path across the field leading to the edge of the bluff. I walked over and could only see the surf against the shore.

When I was going back from Homer to Seward, it was a bright, clear day. I found out why there was a path worn across the field... the view is fantastic! Mount Iliamna is directly across the Cook Inlet and Mount Redoubt a little to the north. Mount Spurr is further north. You may even see Mount Augustine to the south if it is a very clear day. I'll put some pictures here and in a couple of tips. I'll also post a video clip that scans the horizon. I would definitely recommend stopping here on your way to Homer. To get an idea of the scale of things, the black dots at the edge of the bluff on the right side are people.

Path to the Bluff

A path is worn across the field. It leads to the edge of a very steep bluff.

Don't Get Too Close to the Edge

As you can see from this picture, the bluff is very steep and does not always have support under the edge. I played it safe and did not get too close to the edge.

• Pros:Fantastic view on a clear day
  • Cons:Not much to see on a foggy day
  • In a nutshell:I was happy that I stopped near Happy Valley
  • Last visit to Happy Valley: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2007

Comments

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Happy Valley

Have you been to Happy Valley?