Bethel Warnings Or Dangers Tips by AlbuqRay
Bethel Warnings and Dangers: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Can You See What Is On My Forehead?
Alaska is known for its mosquitoes, so I was ready. I treated my clothes with permethrin before I went. I had repellent, a hat and a hooded raincoat to cover my neck. BTW, today's "hoodies" look a lot like the adikey(?) that Natives wear to protect themselves if they are not wearing a fancy no-see-ums jacket.
Okay, I go out by myself on the tundra near my friends' house to take a picture of the sunset. There are plenty of mosquitoes around but I seem to do okay with all my protection. I wanted a picture with me and the sunset, so I took one of those arms length pics. This is what I got! That is a giant mosquito on my forehead. It was so big, that it would have sucked me dry if it had bitten me. The good news was that it did not bite me. I guess my repellent actually did work. The bad news is all the teasing I get for not even knowing it was there and thinking I was safe.
For the record, sunset was at 10:34 PM on 15 Aug 07.
Strange Tundra Beast
I managed to photograph this strange tundra beast. It may even be a new species. It looks like it could be dangerous. I think I saw it eating unripe cranberries. Anything that can do that must be tough.
More Reviews (35)
- Blended Diverse Cultures Are the Secret
- See All Miles and Miles the Same
- See All Things You Can Make With Fresh...
- See All Small Boats
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Bethel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bethel - Gateway to the Kuskokwim Bush"
- "Bethel....the hub of the bush"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bethel
- Hotels in Bethel
- Transportation in Bethel
- Restaurants in Bethel
- Shopping in Bethel
- Warnings and Dangers in Bethel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bethel
- 37 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Bethel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bethel
Photos in BethelSee All Photos (117)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues