Bethel Warnings Or Dangers Tips by AlbuqRay

Bethel Warnings and Dangers: 2 reviews and 2 photos

Can You See What Is On My Forehead? - Bethel

Can You See What Is On My Forehead?

Be Ready for Mosquitoes

Alaska is known for its mosquitoes, so I was ready. I treated my clothes with permethrin before I went. I had repellent, a hat and a hooded raincoat to cover my neck. BTW, today's "hoodies" look a lot like the adikey(?) that Natives wear to protect themselves if they are not wearing a fancy no-see-ums jacket.

Okay, I go out by myself on the tundra near my friends' house to take a picture of the sunset. There are plenty of mosquitoes around but I seem to do okay with all my protection. I wanted a picture with me and the sunset, so I took one of those arms length pics. This is what I got! That is a giant mosquito on my forehead. It was so big, that it would have sucked me dry if it had bitten me. The good news was that it did not bite me. I guess my repellent actually did work. The bad news is all the teasing I get for not even knowing it was there and thinking I was safe.

For the record, sunset was at 10:34 PM on 15 Aug 07.

• Updated Aug 21, 2007
Strange Tundra Beast - Bethel

Strange Tundra Beast

Watch Out for This Strange Tundra Beast

I managed to photograph this strange tundra beast. It may even be a new species. It looks like it could be dangerous. I think I saw it eating unripe cranberries. Anything that can do that must be tough.

• Updated Sep 3, 2007

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Bethel