"Anchor Point - Question Marks Answered!" Anchor Point by AlbuqRay

Anchor Point Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos

Question Mark Signs

I should have known when I saw the question mark signs. There was one 1 mile north of Anchor Point and one 1/2 mile south. When I first saw one, I thought... could they be like "THE THING" signs on old Route-66 for whatever it was in Dagget, CA (I never stopped)? The answer... nooooooooo, they indicate a visitors' center (which BTW was closed). However, I ended up visiting each of them twice looking for the turn to Nikolaevsk.

Question Mark the Other Way Too

There were two things I wanted to see in or near Anchor Point. Before I left Albuquerque, I found a fun review on Nina Fefelov's Samovar Cafe in Nikolaevsk. The "On the Kenai - 2007 Recreation and Travel Guide" said it was on the "North Fork Loop Road" about 12 miles from Anchor Point. As it turned out, I had trouble finding North Loop Road, which is all I remembered from the article since I am getting senile. After a couple of passes through town, I figured out it was actually North Fork Road, ultimately found the Samovar Cafe, and had a great time. It was definitely worth the search!

John Steckel had also recommended stopping at the Norman Lowell Studio and Gallery in Anchor Point; however, I never did find it. I saw some large buildings at the intersection of the Sterling Highway and North Fork Road, but they were something else. Later online Frommers told me that it is located off the Sterling Highway at milepost 160.9 on a homestead in the woods about 4.5 miles south of Anchor Point. Ah well, next time.

• Pros:Exceptional art and a fun restaurant nearby
  • Cons:Hard to find things
  • In a nutshell:Definitely Go to the Samovar Cafe
  • Last visit to Anchor Point: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 29, 2007

Comments

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Anchor Point

Have you been to Anchor Point?

Latest Activity in Anchor Point