"Anchor Point - Question Marks Answered!" Anchor Point by AlbuqRay
Anchor Point Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos
I should have known when I saw the question mark signs. There was one 1 mile north of Anchor Point and one 1/2 mile south. When I first saw one, I thought... could they be like "THE THING" signs on old Route-66 for whatever it was in Dagget, CA (I never stopped)? The answer... nooooooooo, they indicate a visitors' center (which BTW was closed). However, I ended up visiting each of them twice looking for the turn to Nikolaevsk.
There were two things I wanted to see in or near Anchor Point. Before I left Albuquerque, I found a fun review on Nina Fefelov's Samovar Cafe in Nikolaevsk. The "On the Kenai - 2007 Recreation and Travel Guide" said it was on the "North Fork Loop Road" about 12 miles from Anchor Point. As it turned out, I had trouble finding North Loop Road, which is all I remembered from the article since I am getting senile. After a couple of passes through town, I figured out it was actually North Fork Road, ultimately found the Samovar Cafe, and had a great time. It was definitely worth the search!
John Steckel had also recommended stopping at the Norman Lowell Studio and Gallery in Anchor Point; however, I never did find it. I saw some large buildings at the intersection of the Sterling Highway and North Fork Road, but they were something else. Later online Frommers told me that it is located off the Sterling Highway at milepost 160.9 on a homestead in the woods about 4.5 miles south of Anchor Point. Ah well, next time.
- Pros:Exceptional art and a fun restaurant nearby
- Cons:Hard to find things
- In a nutshell:Definitely Go to the Samovar Cafe
Going east on North Fork Road on the way to Nikolaevsk, there was a log cabin with a totem pole that looked abandoned.... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Anchor Point Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Anchor Point
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Anchor Point?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anchor Point
Photos in Anchor PointSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues