"Northern Thailand - Higher, Cooler and Amazing" Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand by AlbuqRay

Northern Thailand Travel Guide: 3,336 reviews and 9,222 photos

Doi Inthanon - The Highest Point in Thailand

Many of my tips about northern Thailand are hidden (make that lost) in my general Thailand tips. I recently had trouble finding one of them myself. I decided to do a separate travel page for northern Thailand. I can also use some additional pictures, since I built the original pages when the limit was one picture per tip.

The northern part of Thailand (of course) has the northernmost point of Thailand. It is a geographically spectacular region that also has the highest point, Doi Inthanon. Near the top of Doi Inthanon (2565 m = 8400 ft) there are two beautiful chedis, one for King Bhumibol and one for the Queen. The Phra That Napharmataneedon chedis were built to celebrate the King's 60th birthday. They are surrounded by beautiful gardens.

Pai - Hot Springs and Elephant Ride

The north has many interesting places to see. I started in Chiang Mai and hired a guide to show me around. Noom really was good. Over the course of 4 days, we saw the San Kamphaeng hot springs, Doi Inthanon National Park, Doi Suthep, Pai hot springs and elephant ride, Mae Hong Son, a Long-Neck Kayan Village, the Mae Fah Luang gardens at Doi Tung, Mae Sai, Chiang Rai, the Golden Triangle, and a hill tribe village.

Northernmost Point in Thailand

The northernmost point in Thailand is in Mae Sai. Myanmar (Burma) is across the bridge that was behind me; the blue and white temple in the background is in Myanmar. Sometimes Thailand and Myanmar do not get along and the border is closed. Only one person crossed the bridge while I was there. He was a Buddhist monk. I believe the issue at the time was Burmese bandits crossing illegally into Thailand and causing trouble in that area. Mae Sai is supposed to be a good place to buy jewelry but you must be careful that the stones are real.

• Pros:Spectacular places that tend to be less crowded than BKK area
  • Cons:You really must drive to get to some of these places
  • In a nutshell:Mountains and hill-tribe culture in a cooler climate
  • Last visit to Northern Thailand: Mar 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2013

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Great tips and photos! Someday, I hope to visit Chiang Mai and the surrounding area. I didn't know about the hot mineral springs -- and the spa looks wonderful.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Very interesting and informative page! I've wanted to visit Thailand for a long time, especially north for the elephant camps!

• Wann's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 4:04 AM

Pic of Wat Rongkoon in 2006 is awesome!!!!

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Northern Thailand

Have you been to Northern Thailand?