"Northern Thailand - Higher, Cooler and Amazing" Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand by AlbuqRay
Northern Thailand Travel Guide: 3,273 reviews and 8,923 photos
Many of my tips about northern Thailand are hidden (make that lost) in my general Thailand tips. I recently had trouble finding one of them myself. I decided to do a separate travel page for northern Thailand. I can also use some additional pictures, since I built the original pages when the limit was one picture per tip.
The northern part of Thailand (of course) has the northernmost point of Thailand. It is a geographically spectacular region that also has the highest point, Doi Inthanon. Near the top of Doi Inthanon (2565 m = 8400 ft) there are two beautiful chedis, one for King Bhumibol and one for the Queen. The Phra That Napharmataneedon chedis were built to celebrate the King's 60th birthday. They are surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The north has many interesting places to see. I started in Chiang Mai and hired a guide to show me around. Noom really was good. Over the course of 4 days, we saw the San Kamphaeng hot springs, Doi Inthanon National Park, Doi Suthep, Pai hot springs and elephant ride, Mae Hong Son, a Long-Neck Kayan Village, the Mae Fah Luang gardens at Doi Tung, Mae Sai, Chiang Rai, the Golden Triangle, and a hill tribe village.
The northernmost point in Thailand is in Mae Sai. Myanmar (Burma) is across the bridge that was behind me; the blue and white temple in the background is in Myanmar. Sometimes Thailand and Myanmar do not get along and the border is closed. Only one person crossed the bridge while I was there. He was a Buddhist monk. I believe the issue at the time was Burmese bandits crossing illegally into Thailand and causing trouble in that area. Mae Sai is supposed to be a good place to buy jewelry but you must be careful that the stones are real.
- Pros:Spectacular places that tend to be less crowded than BKK area
- Cons:You really must drive to get to some of these places
- In a nutshell:Mountains and hill-tribe culture in a cooler climate
In 2001 this was one of my favorite places in Thailand. The Pai Hotsprings Spa Resort (formerly Thapai Spa Camping... more travel advice
Thailand has a very special King. He is now the longest reigning monarch in the world and is beloved by his people. He... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Northern Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A short trip through Northern Thailand"
- "Northern Thailand - Higher, Cooler and Amazing"
- "Chiang Mai, Golden Triangle & Northern Thailand"
- "Northern Thailand"
- "Chiang Mai also under re-construction"
- "a day or two in the north"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northern Thailand
- Hotels in Northern Thailand
- Transportation in Northern Thailand
- Nightlife in Northern Thailand
- Restaurants in Northern Thailand
- Shopping in Northern Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Northern Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northern Thailand
- 12 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Northern Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northern Thailand
- Posted in Travel Cambodia Forum "Re: visiting Siem Reap"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Long-Neck Kayan Women"
- updated a Northern Thailand Travel Page "Northern Thailand - Higher, Cooler and Amazing"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Northern Thailand tips
- Wrote a Review Multiple Spas and Homegrown Food in Northern Thailand Hotels
Photos in Northern ThailandSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues