"Isan - Almost A Best Kept Secret" Top 5 Page for this destination Northeastern Thailand by AlbuqRay
Northeastern Thailand Travel Guide: 850 reviews and 2,905 photos
Thailand is said to be shaped like an elephant's head facing west with Bangkok located at the mouth. Isan is the northeast, or the elephant's ear. It is a poorer part of Thailand and not many tourists go there. In northern Isan are the Mekong/Mekhong/Mae Khong River and historical sites (see my Si Chiang Mai travelogue below). In southern Isan you find the sites along the former Royal Khmer Road (see my Thailand travelogues for Phanom Rung and smaller Khmer sites, and my Phimai and Muang Tam travelogues here).
I already have quite a bit of information on Northeast Thailand in my Thailand tips and travelogues. I shall try to put more specific northeast information here but there will be some overlap. There are also specific destinations (like the mountain top national park with pine trees, Phu Kradung, and the fascinating Khmer temple, Preah Vihear, that is actually in Cambodia but most accessible from Isan) with tips and travelogues.
Many sites in Thailand have been holy sites for a long long time and honored by more than one culture. Unlike the Spanish did in South America, a structure from a previous religion in Thailand would not necessarily be destroyed and might even be treated with respect. This site at Prasat Si Khoraphum near Surin has a Khmer ruin, a Buddhist temple and a sacred Bodhi tree. The Khmer ruin is no doubt the oldest but the Bodhi tree may have watched the Buddhist temple being built.
The northern and eastern borders of Isan are defined by the Mekong River. Mostly Laos is across the river but in the southwest part, Cambodia too. The northern part of Isan has the oldest historical sites in Thailand (e.g. Ban Chiang dates from 3600 BC).
- Pros:Friendly people; Thailand's ancient history; uncrowded sites; great value
- Cons:Can be hot and dry; infrastructure a little limited
- In a nutshell:Rural Thailand - All the benefits without the crowds
Pha Taem is located 95 km northeast of Ubon Ratchathani. It is where a rock cliff overlooks the Mekong River and the... more travel advice
During Songkran, it is not clear who or what gets the wettest...not that it matters, LOL. more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Northeastern Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Amazing and Never to be Forgotten trip in KhonKae"
- "Isan - Almost A Best Kept Secret"
- "Isaan, unknown Thailand"
- "Isaan in the North East of Thailand"
- "North-East of Thailand"
- "Isan - Almost a Best Kept Secret and Si Chiang Mai"
- "Driving around Issan - Our 10 day road trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northeastern Thailand
- Hotels in Northeastern Thailand
- Transportation in Northeastern Thailand
- Nightlife in Northeastern Thailand
- Restaurants in Northeastern Thailand
- Shopping in Northeastern Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Northeastern Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northeastern Thailand
- 93 Reviews
- 168 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Northeastern Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northeastern Thailand
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Guided Tour or self-guided tour"
- updated a Northeastern Thailand Travelogue "Isan - Almost a Best Kept Secret and Si Chiang Mai"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Northeastern Thailand travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Northeast Guide and Place to Stay"
- Wrote a Review Pha Taem Cliff Paintings in Northeastern Thailand Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Northeastern ThailandSee All Photos (168)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues