"Interesting Places in Kampong Thom Province" Khett Kampong Thum by AlbuqRay
Khett Kampong Thum Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 188 photos
Sambor Prei Kuk has the most impressive group of pre-Angkorian temples in Cambodia. It is considered the birthplace of Khmer art. It is actually quite close to the town of Kampong Thom and could easily be visited from there in a half day now that the new road is almost completed. From Kampong Thom just go 5 km east on NH6 and turn north on NH64, which is under construction and may be paved by now. After ~11 km turn at the sign marking the new road and go 14 km more on an excellent gravel road. There is a small Welcome Center (with restrooms) by the bridge where you pay the $2.00 admission fee. There is a small market near the parking area. You will probably be greeted by several girls volunteering to show you around. When we went, we were the only ones there but it was late in the day. I had my Canby map and said no thanks to the girls but they followed us around anyway. At the end, I did tip them since they had suggested that we not miss the small temple where the Statue of Durga was found and showed us which one it was (N9). We only spent an hour at Sambor Prei Kuk and I wish that I had allocated more time. See the Things to Do tips, two videoclips and a travelogue.
Phnom Santuk is a holy mountain, the top of which is covered with temples. There is a legend about Phnom Santuk. It is located about 18 km east of Kampong Thom on NH6 and then 2 km north to the base of the mountain. Admission was $3.75 for one foreigner and two Cambodians. You can drive up the mountain to near the temples or climb 809 steps from the base. My driver was afraid of inclines and did not want to drive up but I made him and it was actually an easy drive. There is an active wat on the mountain, along with many interesting shrines and some great views. Phnom Santuk is definitely worth visiting. I had not planned on stopping at Phnom Santuk, so I did not know what to look for or have a map of the site. There is so much there and I did not have much time, so I missed some of the main things to visit. I'll just do one General tip and some travelogues to show what I did see. I also did four videoclips and will include them.
The turn to Prasat Kuhanokor is on NH6 ~22 km north of Skuon. It is about 2 km west of the highway. There is a large sign on the highway showing where to turn. It is a 11th-century Khmer temple on the grounds of an active wat and school. There is no admission but there is a donation box. There was some kind of ceremony going on next to it when we were there. The music added to the ambiance. This is an easy stop on the way to Kampong Thom from Phnom Penh and can be done in about 30 minutes. See the Off the Beaten Path tips and two videoclips.
- Pros:Has pre-Angkorian and modern sites worth visiting
- Cons:Hard to get to sites unless you have your own vehicle
- In a nutshell:Don't miss these three sites on your way to Angkor
Prasat Kuhanokor is located within the grounds of an active wat and school. One of the teachers and some of his students... more travel advice
Prasat Kuhanokor is a small 11th-century Khmer temple on the grounds of an active wat and school. There is no admission... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Khett Kampong Thum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Interesting Places in Kampong Thom Province"
- "On the midpoint between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap"
- "Just a Little out of the way for tourists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Kampong Thum
- Hotels in Khett Kampong Thum
- Restaurants in Khett Kampong Thum
- Shopping in Khett Kampong Thum
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Kampong Thum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khett Kampong Thum
- 25 Reviews
- 174 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Khett Kampong Thum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Kampong Thum
Photos in Khett Kampong ThumSee All Photos (174)
Videos in Khett Kampong ThumSee All Videos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues