"Interesting Places in Kampong Thom Province" Khett Kampong Thum by AlbuqRay

Khett Kampong Thum Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 188 photos

Sambor Prei Kuk

Sambor Prei Kuk has the most impressive group of pre-Angkorian temples in Cambodia. It is considered the birthplace of Khmer art. It is actually quite close to the town of Kampong Thom and could easily be visited from there in a half day now that the new road is almost completed. From Kampong Thom just go 5 km east on NH6 and turn north on NH64, which is under construction and may be paved by now. After ~11 km turn at the sign marking the new road and go 14 km more on an excellent gravel road. There is a small Welcome Center (with restrooms) by the bridge where you pay the $2.00 admission fee. There is a small market near the parking area. You will probably be greeted by several girls volunteering to show you around. When we went, we were the only ones there but it was late in the day. I had my Canby map and said no thanks to the girls but they followed us around anyway. At the end, I did tip them since they had suggested that we not miss the small temple where the Statue of Durga was found and showed us which one it was (N9). We only spent an hour at Sambor Prei Kuk and I wish that I had allocated more time. See the Things to Do tips, two videoclips and a travelogue.

Phnom Santuk

Phnom Santuk is a holy mountain, the top of which is covered with temples. There is a legend about Phnom Santuk. It is located about 18 km east of Kampong Thom on NH6 and then 2 km north to the base of the mountain. Admission was $3.75 for one foreigner and two Cambodians. You can drive up the mountain to near the temples or climb 809 steps from the base. My driver was afraid of inclines and did not want to drive up but I made him and it was actually an easy drive. There is an active wat on the mountain, along with many interesting shrines and some great views. Phnom Santuk is definitely worth visiting. I had not planned on stopping at Phnom Santuk, so I did not know what to look for or have a map of the site. There is so much there and I did not have much time, so I missed some of the main things to visit. I'll just do one General tip and some travelogues to show what I did see. I also did four videoclips and will include them.

Prasat Kuhanokor

The turn to Prasat Kuhanokor is on NH6 ~22 km north of Skuon. It is about 2 km west of the highway. There is a large sign on the highway showing where to turn. It is a 11th-century Khmer temple on the grounds of an active wat and school. There is no admission but there is a donation box. There was some kind of ceremony going on next to it when we were there. The music added to the ambiance. This is an easy stop on the way to Kampong Thom from Phnom Penh and can be done in about 30 minutes. See the Off the Beaten Path tips and two videoclips.

• Pros:Has pre-Angkorian and modern sites worth visiting
  • Cons:Hard to get to sites unless you have your own vehicle
  • In a nutshell:Don't miss these three sites on your way to Angkor
  • Last visit to Khett Kampong Thum: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2010

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Interesting page, Ray. Not much of tourist, I would love to visit there one day... :-))

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Hi Ray, Interesting page. You either like Asia or loath it. We love Asia, next visit World Orchid Show in Singapore and then to Laos, Nov 2011

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Khett Kampong Thum

Have you been to Khett Kampong Thum?

Latest Activity in Khett Kampong Thum