"New Mexico, Earth, But Out of this World" Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico by AlbuqRay

New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,211 reviews and 10,335 photos

High Plains and Mesas

New Mexico, Earth is an especially nice place to live and/or visit. There are many interesting things to do and see but you must be willing to drive long distances. My general tips include suggested itineraries from forum replies. See also my Albuquerque tips and travelogues for western and southern New Mexico, as well as trips from Albuquerque to Arizona, Colorado and Nevada. Although one might consider all of New Mexico "off-the-beaten-path," I have included some of my favorite places in those tips.

Craggy Mountains

These mountains to the east of Albuquerque are named "sandia" after the watermelon color they show at sunset. This is the west side (facing Albuquerque). The east side has evergreen forests. Much of New Mexico is like this, i.e., when you gain a little altitude, you get cooler weather and trees.

Maybe Short Gray Beings

Most people hear about New Mexico via Santa Fe or the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. However, Roswell is also famous in its own way. See my off the beaten path tips below for more details about Roswell.

• Pros:Many natural wonders and historical sites
  • Cons:Big state - it's a long way between things
  • In a nutshell:The blending of three cultures in people, landscape and history are enchanting
  • Last visit to New Mexico: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2012

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2012 at 7:12 AM

NM should be a nice place to visit and stay. Beautiful mountains, landscapes, historical sites, etc..Lovely. Thanks for sharing, Ray ;-))

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2011 at 7:55 AM

My high school was Sandia H.S. nice to see a mention of the mountain. You have done a bang up job on these pages. I am impressed.

• Dec 12, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Norma Jean Ortiz is such a talented women. When I get the time I come on the internet and look her up Norma Jean is my aunt, her brother Roland Ortiz is my dad. I have some of her pottery in my house.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 8:57 PM

The ghosts at Burton park seem to be :)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 4:26 PM

Shrines remind me of the ones in Poland. Love those southwest skies!! phenomenol. Sorry the radio towers had to ruin the view. Wish I could get back to visit the Turquoise Trail again.

• Wann's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 11:11 AM

Nice to know New Mexico through your page .. Thanks

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 5:15 AM

Nice VLA of tips on NM Ray, but think the train ride got me in most. Also, that sunset photo is just gorgeous too. Beaut photos really highlight your tips.

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2004 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for the great overal view of NM, Ray! I'll likely be driving to AZ via !-40 after the Albuq visit, so will have to stop in at the El Rancho for sure - cat

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2004 at 6:27 AM

Wow... what an impressive landscape! Those little towns in the middle of that arid place are really charming.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2003 at 3:09 PM

Beautiful photos on your page and very helpful tips! NM definitely has lots of attractions worth visiting!

AlbuqRay Works Here!

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in New Mexico

Have you been to New Mexico?

Latest Activity in New Mexico