"Oban - Gateway to the Highland Islands" Oban by AlbuqRay
Oban Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 380 photos
We spent two nights in Oban on our Rabbies' tour of the Highland islands. It is a good base to see many things by driving or by taking the ferry to the Isle of Mull. I really enjoyed Oban. It had good restaurants and everything was within walking distance. Oban would be a good place to just relax for a few days, except during the height of the tourist season when the normal population of 8500 people may swell to 25,000.
One of the best pictures that I took on the whole trip was the first evening in Oban from a window in the lounge of the Wellpark House. You could see reflections of the city lights on the water and there was a full moon.
Oban Bay is a small horseshoe-shaped bay in a beautiful location, protected by the islands of Kerrera and Mull, and guarded by Dunollie Castle at the entrance. There is an esplanade along the waterfront from the castle on the far north side of town, past the North Pier and Waterfront Shopping Center, all the way to the ferry/railroad pier.
McCaig’s Tower and the Oban Distillery are two of the main attractions in Oban. They are located in the downtown area just off the waterfront.
- Pros:Beautiful waterfront town
- Cons:Can get busy during the tourist season
- In a nutshell:Gateway to the islands of Mull and Iona
Rabbies Tours uses Wellpark House as one of its B&B options in Oban. We spent two nights there. It is an excellent place... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Oban Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Oban"
- "Capital of the West Highlands"
- "My Home"
- "Gateway to the Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oban
- Hotels in Oban
- Transportation in Oban
- Nightlife in Oban
- Restaurants in Oban
- Shopping in Oban
- Warnings and Dangers in Oban
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oban
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Oban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oban
Photos in ObanSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues