State of Sarawak Warnings Or Dangers Tips by AlbuqRay Top 5 Page for this destination
State of Sarawak Warnings and Dangers: 6 reviews and 18 photos
Door and Windows to the Veranda
When I got to my Deluxe Longhouse room (Turtle Cave Room) at Mulu Park headquarters, the air conditioner was not on and some windows were open. While closing the windows, I noticed that several of the window locks did not work! I just closed them as well as I could and closed all the inside screens behind them. I decided not to leave anything valuable in the room while I was out and that turned out to be a good decision.
The day I went to the canopy skywalk was rainy and I was still there talking to neighbors on the veranda when two ladies cleaned and left the room. I was back in the room a while and locked the door when I left. That was the same day that I also went to the Deer Cave bat flight. When I got back, I noticed that the inside screen on one of the windows by the door on the veranda side was open. It seemed a little strange but I thought maybe one of the ladies had opened it and I just had not noticed it when I left. I was not missing anything but I had carried all my valuables in my knapsack.
However, the next day I happened to mention it to one of my neighbors. She said that it was interesting since she had had something happen the previous afternoon also. She had not gone out and was reading in her room. Two guys walked up to her door without knocking. When they saw her they left abruptly without saying or doing anything. I still was not sure that someone had been in my room surreptitiously while I was gone, but I decided I better report it to park headquarters anyway. I really got a strange (non-)response from the 3-4 people at the desk. Essentially they said nothing. No questions about details, no indication that it may have been maintenance personnel, and no offer to look into it. I was checking out that morning, so I did not have to worry about it further. Just be careful if you stay there.
Ready for the Leeches (but not the rain)
Any time it rains in the jungle, the leeches come out. Having had some experience with them before (Taman Negara, Phu Kradung, and Nai Yang), I dressed for the occasion, i.e., shirt, pants and socks treated with permethrin, pant legs tucked into my socks, and 25% Deet on exposed skin and shoes. I may have looked goofy but I did not get any leeches. Nuh was not so lucky. After making it back across the river on our rainy Hornbill Fall hike, I noticed that he had a leech on his hand. It turned out that he had three leeches. He was a little phobic about them and used his parang to scrape the one off his neck. I was more worried about him slicing his throat with the parang. At least he didn't shoot them with his shotgun, LOL.
Red Arrow - Normal Side
Many of the roads in northern Sarawak are privately owned and maintained by the logging companies. As such, their trucks have the right of way and it may not be on the normal (right) side of the road. You must watch the red arrows on the small white signs and switch to that side of the road or you might get a big surprise.
More Reviews (54)
- See All Mulu Airport
- See All By the Royal Mulu Resort Bridge
- Friends from Mulu Tours
- See All Inside Lady and Clearwater Caves
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
State of Sarawak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Borneo Jungle Adventure 4 - 10 Mar 09"
- "Sarawak - Malaysian Borneo"
- "Sarawak, Borneo"
- "Sarawak, Damai Beach"
- "Sarawak!! Where??"
- "Sarawak - An Incredible Place To Visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Sarawak
- Hotels in State of Sarawak
- Transportation in State of Sarawak
- Nightlife in State of Sarawak
- Restaurants in State of Sarawak
- Shopping in State of Sarawak
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Sarawak
- See All...
Explore the World
- Anguilla Hotels
- State of Andhra Pradesh Hotels
- Sylva Hotels
- Isola Lipari
- Idku Hotels
- Veliko Turnovo
Badges & Stats in State of Sarawak
- 94 Reviews
- 479 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to State of Sarawak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Sarawak
- Posted in Travel Albuquerque Forum "Re: Itinerary question"
- updated a State of Sarawak Travel Page "Borneo Jungle Adventure 4 - 10 Mar 09"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's State of Sarawak travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Bugs of Borneo"
- Wrote a Review Mulu Airport in State of Sarawak Transportation
- Uploaded a Video to State of Sarawak
Videos in State of SarawakSee All Videos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues