"Base for 2010 VT Survivor Camp and Meet" Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs by AlbuqRay
Alice Springs Travel Guide: 391 reviews and 1,233 photos
Alice Springs is the unofficial capital of Australia's outback. The Australia eguide has a nice list of things to do in "The Alice." It is located in the normally dry Red Center of Australia; however, in 2010 a drought had broken and it had been raining. Everywhere we went was green and the plants were blooming. It was a perfect time to have the 2010 VT survivor camp and meeting in that area. Deb (Adelaidean) and Rosie (Rosie235) had organized the "survivor" camp which included remote places south of Alice Springs, Uluru National Park, Finke Gorge National Park (Palm Valley), and the West MacDonnell Ranges. For someone like me, this was the experience of a lifetime. Not only did I get to see many spectacular sites, but I got to do it with six very special people. It was supposed to be early Spring but it turned out to be late Winter. We actually had frost on the tents a couple of times. BTW, "surviving" was not so difficult. We actually ate like kings and queens! If I had to pick a favorite place, I would pick Palm Valley, even though the scariest thing happened there... Deb's encounter with a six foot eastern brown snake.
Because it was very unusual to have so many plants blooming, I took lots of pictures. I put them in two albums on my Northern Territory Shutterfly web page. One has 854 pictures of flowers in the Alice Springs area and the other 210 pictures of the flowers along the Stuart Highway between Alice Springs and Darwin. I have also done a Shutterfly album with the flowering plants at the Alice Springs Desert Park.
Here is what we did:
In and Near Alice Springs (see Transportation and Shopping tips):
Aug 9 - Visited Alice Springs Old Ghan Museum; bought camping supplies at Cole's
South of Alice Springs (see Off the Beaten Path tips):
Aug 10 - Visited Ewaninga Rock Carvings Conservation Reserve, Oak Valley, and Stuart's Well/Jim's Place; camped at Rainbow Valley
Aug 11 - Visited Henbury Meteorite Craters; stopped at Stuart's Well/Jim's Place; traveled Ernest Giles Road
Uluru Area (see Uluru National Park tips):
Aug 11 continued - Camped at Ayers Rock Resort in Yulara; went to Sound of Silence dinner and show, or watched Uluru sunset from Imalung Lookout
Aug 12 - Visited Uluru (sunset viewing area, Cultural Center, Kantju Gorge walk); visited Kata Tjula (Olga Mountains) Valley of the Winds and watched sunset; camped at Ayers Rock Resort in Yulara
Aug 13 - Visited Uluru's Mutitjulu Waterhole and Talinguru Nyakunytjaku viewing area
South of Alice Springs (see Off the Beaten Path and Warnings or Dangers tips):
Aug 13 continued - Stopped at Mount Conner Lookout; camped at Kings Creek Station
Aug 14 - Walked Kings Creek Trail and Kathleen Springs Trail; watched sunset from Tank Hill; camped at Kings Creek Station
Aug 15 - Stopped at Kings Canyon Resort, Morris Pass Scenic Lookout, and Albert Namatjiras House; camped at Palm Valley; visited Cycad Gorge and did Arankaia Walk
Aug 16 - Watched Palm Valley sunrise; did partial Mpulungkinya walk and survived eastern brown snake; visited "I-caves" canyon; walked to Kalarranga Lookout; camped at Palm Valley
Aug 17 - Visited Hermannsburg and Gosse Bluff Craters
West MacDonnell Ranges (see MacDonnell Ranges Things to Do tips):
Aug 17 continued - Went through Tyler's Pass (start of West MacDonnell National Park); stopped at Glen Helen Gorge; camped at Ellery Creek Big Hole
Aug 18 - Visited Redbank Gorge, Mount Sonder Lookout, Finke 2 Mile, Ormiston Gorge, Ochre Pits, and Standley Chasm; arrived in Alice Springs
Aug 19 - Visited Simpson Gap
In and Near Alice Springs (see Things to Do, General, Sports Travel and Nightlife tips):
Aug 19 continued - Visited Flynn's Grave, and Alice Springs Desert Park; had VT meet and greet at Desert Palms Resort
Aug 20 - Built Seabiscuit boat frame; took tour of Alice Springs (Mbantua Gallery and Cultural Museum, Royal Flying Doctors Service, School of Air, Old Telegraph Station, Anzac Hill); went to Sounds of Starlight dinner and didgeridoo show
Aug 21 - Attended Henley-on-Todd Regatta (Todd Mall parade, Seabiscuit race, sand shoveling, team sand ski races, tug-of-wars, and battle boat event); Seabiscuit's last cruise; partied at Bojangles
After the 2010 VT survivor camp and meet, I got to ride back to Darwin with Zyg (1+1), who is a ranger in Kakadu National Park. We decided to do a day trip to the East MacDonnell Ranges before we left Alice Springs. We saw Jessie Gap, Corroboree Rock, Ross River Homestead, Trephina Gorge, Arltunga mining ghost town, and many things in between, including a wild camel and the Terry "Fish" Gill Memorial. (see MacDonnell Ranges Off the Beaten Path tips)
Deb (Adelaidean) and her husband Bob
George (Tiabunna) and his wife Pauline
- Pros:Near to many magical places
- Cons:Rains all the time (hey, it did when I was there)
- In a nutshell:Vibrant place to base your travels into the Red Center
This was one of the first buildings constructed at the Alice Springs Telegraph Station (ASTS). It was built in the early... more travel advice
The Stationmaster's Residence was built in 1888. At the time it was the grandest house in Central Australia. However,... more travel advice
- See All Ntyarikarie Tyaneme (Caterpillar...
- See All Decommissioning Seabiscuit
- See All Dinner, Singing, Dancing & Internet Live...
- See All Sounds of Starlight Dinner
- See All Aboriginal Art by Pamela Ryan
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Alice Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Base for 2010 VT Survivor Camp and Meet"
- "Rolling, rolling, rolling on the river......"
- "Alice Springs - not just in the middle of Nowhere"
- "Road trip Alice Springs to Uluru"
- "Jewel in the crown"
- "IMPREXXION: ALICE SPRINGS"
- "Welcome to The Alice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alice Springs
- Hotels in Alice Springs
- Transportation in Alice Springs
- Nightlife in Alice Springs
- Restaurants in Alice Springs
- Shopping in Alice Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Alice Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alice Springs
- 111 Reviews
- 574 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Alice Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alice Springs
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Guided Tour or self-guided tour"
- updated a Alice Springs Travel Page "Base for 2010 VT Survivor Camp and Meet"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Greyhound Bus from Darwin to Alice Springs"
- Wrote a Review ASTS Storage and Buggy Shed in Alice Springs Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Alice Springs
- Commented on one of stevemt's Alice Springs travel pages
Photos in Alice SpringsSee All Photos (574)
Videos in Alice SpringsSee All Videos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues