"Historical Telegraph Station & Roadhouse" Barrow Creek by AlbuqRay
Barrow Creek Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 48 photos
Barrow Creek was the first stop that Zig (1+1) and I made on 24 Aug 2010 on our way from Alice Springs back to Darwin. A historical telegraph station is located there. The Wikipedia page on Barrow Creek is quite good. It is a nice place to stop now but there is a lot of sadness in Barrow Creek's history. The relationships between the white people and the local Aboriginal people were not good in the past.
The roadhouse at Barrow Creek does not look like much from the outside but it is very interesting on the inside. The roadhouse is a popular stop for travelers along the Stuart Highway and the hotel-pub portion contains a large collection of memorabilia and items of interest which have been gathered over the years. Evidently only 11 people live at Barrow Creek and they all work at the roadhouse. There is also a caravan park. Historically, there have always been water shortages at Barrow Creek. Both the quantity and quality of groundwater supplies have been a problem. Today, the only good water at Barrow Creek is rainwater and that is limited due to the arid climate. Maybe that's why the public toilets were not open when we were there.
When we went into the roadhouse, Michael (the hotel manager) noticed my Henley-on-the-Todd boat races cap from Alice Springs. It turned out that he was the guy in the orange shirt on the winning Buccaneers Battle Boat! He showed us his trophy.
- Pros:Happy to see a fuel stop
- Cons:The public toilets were not open
- In a nutshell:Interesting historical location in the middle of nowhere
There is a small graveyard in front of the Barrow Creek Telegraph Station. It contains the remains of two telegraph... more travel advice
The Blacksmith Workshop was first built in 1879 and reconstructed in 1965-66 by Telecom Australia. At the same time,... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Barrow Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historical Telegraph Station & Roadhouse"
- "Barrow Creek, Joanne Lees' date with destiny."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barrow Creek
- 10 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Barrow Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrow Creek
Photos in Barrow CreekSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues