"Katherine But Not the Gorge" Top 5 Page for this destination Katherine by AlbuqRay
Katherine Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 324 photos
When I was going south from Darwin to Alice Springs on the Greyhound Croc Stopover tour (5 Aug 2010), I had a bad experience with Nitmiluk Tours and had to miss seeing the Katherine Gorge. When Zig (1+1) and I went through Katherine on 26 Aug 2010 on our way back to Darwin, we did not have time to go out to the Gorge. We did make a couple of stops in Katherine itself that were quite nice. One was the Low level Nature Park (see also my Things to Do tips here). The Wikitravel Katherine Travel Guide details many things to see and do in the Katherine area.
The Stuart Highway turns to the west just before you get to Katherine. On the east side of Katherine near the Visitors' Information Center is a Memorial to the Men and Women of the Outback. It is definitely worth a stop (see my Things to Do tip here).
Besides the historic Low Level Bridge, another thing to see at the Low Level Nature Park is the flying-foxes, the largest bats in the world. They looked black to me, so maybe they are that species. They were actually quite noisy and I realized that when I had gone to the Mataranka Thermal Pool, there were no flying-foxes around at the time or I would have heard them. See also my Things to Do tip here and a videoclip.
- Pros:Low Level Nature Park is a beautiful spot
- Cons:Nitmiluk Tours would not pick me up when bus was 40 min late
- In a nutshell:Need to go back and spend time in Katherine area
Originally, Katherine was connected to Darwin via the North Australia Railway, a narrow gauge railway which was... more travel advice
The west end of the Low Level Nature Park is the less developed and less crowded part of the Park. There was a shallow... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Katherine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Katherine and the Gorge"
- "Katherine - Gorgeous Gorges!"
- "Katherine and Nitmiluk"
- "Katherine But Not the Gorge"
- "Katherine Gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Katherine
- Hotels in Katherine
- Transportation in Katherine
- Restaurants in Katherine
- Shopping in Katherine
- Warnings and Dangers in Katherine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Katherine
- 10 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Katherine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Katherine
- Posted in Travel Bolivia Forum "Re: Solo Travel In Boliva/Peru"
- updated a Katherine Travel Page "Katherine But Not the Gorge"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Katherine tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stuart Highway and The Ghan Rail Line"
- Wrote a Review Stuart Highway and The Ghan Rail Line in Katherine Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Katherine
Photos in KatherineSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues