"West and East MacDonnell Ranges" Macdonnell Ranges by AlbuqRay
Macdonnell Ranges Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 266 photos
Before the 2010 VT Meet in Alice Springs, Deb (Adelaidean) and Rosie (Rosie235) organized a "survivor" camp which included remote places south of Alice Springs, Uluru National Park, Finke Gorge National Park (Palm Valley), and the West MacDonnell Ranges (on 17-19 Aug 2010). The detailed itinerary and tips for 10-16 Aug 2010 (plus Hermannsburg and Gosse Bluff Craters) are under Alice Springs and Uluru National Park. Here look for the West MacDonnell Ranges tips under Things to Do, and the East MacDonnell Ranges tips under Off the Beaten Path.
Summary Itinerary for August 2010:
10 - Ewaninga Rock Carvings Conservation Reserve, Oak Valley, Stuart's Well/Jim's Place, Rainbow Valley
11 - Henbury Meteorite Craters, Stuart's Well/Jim's Place, Ernest Giles Road, Yulara, Imalung Lookout for Uluru sunset
12 - Uluru (sunset viewing area, Cultural Center, Kantju Gorge walk), Olgas' Valley of the Winds and sunset
13 - Uluru Waterhole and sunrise viewing area, Mount Conner Lookout, Kings Creek Station
14 - Kings Creek Trail, Kathleen Springs Trail, Tank Hill sunset
15 - Kings Canyon Resort, Morris Pass Scenic Lookout, Albert Namatjiras House, Palm Valley, Cycad Gorge, Arankaia Walk
16 - Palm Valley sunrise, partial Mpulungkinya walk, "I-caves" canyon, Kalarranga Lookout
17 - Hermannsburg, Gosse Bluff Craters, Tyler's Pass (start of West MacDonnell Ranges), Glen Helen Gorge, Ellery Creek Big Hole
18 - Redbank Gorge, Mount Sonder Lookout, Finke 2 Mile, Ormiston Gorge, Ochre Pits, Standley Chasm, Alice Springs
19 - Simpsons Gap
After a question in a forum, I got curious as to how much time we actually spent driving to and touring each site in the West MacDonnell Ranges. LOL, being a systems engineer, I had to do some analysis. Of course it would really vary depending on what you actually did when you stopped. I put the times for our trip in a General tip below.
After the 2010 VT survivor camp and meet, I got to ride back to Darwin with Zyg (1+1), who is a ranger in Kakadu National Park. We decided to do a day trip to the East MacDonnell Ranges before we left Alice Springs. We saw Jessie Gap, Corroboree Rock, Ross River Homestead, Trephina Gorge, Arltunga mining ghost town, and many things in between, including a wild camel and the Terry "Fish" Gill Memorial. The Outback Australia Travel Guide has a nice web page on the East MacDonnell Ranges.
- Pros:Remote spectacular sites
- Cons:Sometimes need a 4WD to get to where you are going
- In a nutshell:Secluded and relatively untouched view of arid Australia nature
In the East MacDonnell Ranges, the Ross Highway is a normal two-lane, paved road until ~1 km west of the Corroboree Rock... more travel advice
When we headed back to Alice Springs from the Arltunga Crossroads, we took the road south past the turns to Ruby Gap and... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Macdonnell Ranges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "West and East MacDonnell Ranges"
- "Amongst the dingos"
- "One of MacDonnels Gorges, Standley Chasm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macdonnell Ranges
- Hotels in Macdonnell Ranges
- Transportation in Macdonnell Ranges
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macdonnell Ranges
- 41 Reviews
- 260 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Macdonnell Ranges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macdonnell Ranges
- Posted in Travel Northern Territory Forum "Re: Places to stay in NT and time..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Paved Roads in East MacDonnell Ranges"
- Wrote a Review Paved Roads in East MacDonnell Ranges in Macdonnell Ranges Transportation
- updated a Macdonnell Ranges Travelogue "Inside the Arltunga Visitors' Center"
- Uploaded a Video to Macdonnell Ranges
Photos in Macdonnell RangesSee All Photos (260)
Videos in Macdonnell RangesSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues