"Side Trip to Abandoned Maranboy Tin Mine" Maranboy by AlbuqRay

Maranboy Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 31 photos

Abandoned Maranboy Tin Mine

Tin was first discovered there in 1913 and the tin field at Maranboy was the principal producer of tin in Australia for 36 years. There was also some wolfram and copper ore. A 10-headstamper battery was established in 1915. Different sources say the mine was finally closed in 1946, 1952 or 1962 (none of which match the 1915 plus 36 years). In 1917 John Flynn of the Royal Flying Doctors Service and Australian Inland Mission established a hospital-nursing station at Maranboy, which continued until 1931. The hospital building, known as the Penola Hostel, was later used as police station, post office and police residence, but finally demolished in 2006.

Maranboy Creek

The Central Arnhem Road crosses Maranboy Creek ~20 km east of the Stuart Highway. Past the bridge, it is another 200 meters until the turn to the south, up the hill to the old Maranboy tin mine site.

Central Arnhem Road to Maranboy

The Maranboy Police Station is ~19.5 km east of the Stuart Highway. Barunga is 29 km. The art center of Beswick is 58 km. The art center of Manyallaluk is ~16 km east on the Central Arnhem Road, then ~35 km north.

Pros and Cons
  • Pros:Interesting place with no one else around
  • Cons:40 km roundtrip from the Stuart Highway
  • In a nutshell:Shows how times can change
  • Last visit to Maranboy: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Reviews (4)



“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Online Now


Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 1 8 9
Forum Rank:
0 0 2 0 6

Badges & Stats in Maranboy

  • 4 Reviews
  • 30 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 312PageViews

Have you been to Maranboy?

  Share Your Travels  

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)