"Tennant Creek Briefly" Tennant Creek by AlbuqRay

Tennant Creek Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 18 photos

Limited Time Spent in Tennant Creek

I actually stopped in Tennant Creek twice in August 2010 when I went from Darwin to Alice Springs and back. Unfortunately neither time was for long. Going south on the Greyhound bus on 8 Aug 2010, we were there from 01:50 - 03:10, waiting for passengers on a connecting bus from the Barkly Highway. Unfortunately, since it was the middle of the night, the bus station was closed as was everything else in town.

Zig (1+1) and I also went through Tennant Creek on our way back to Darwin on 24 Aug 2010, arriving around 17:40. We drove by the bus station (which was open at that time), and checked out Fernanda's Bar and Restaurant since it had a good review in Lonely Planet. It turned out to have excellent Chef's Specialties on its menu but they were not cheap. It was also kind of early to have dinner, so we decided to continue on to Threeways.

If I had had some time in Tennant Creek, I would probably skip seeing the historical telegraph station since I had seen one at Barrow Creek; however, I would love to see the award-winning Nyinkka Nyunyu Cultural Center, which was opened in 2003. It was planned and designed in close consultation with local Aboriginal people. The Center houses exhibitions on local history from an Aboriginal point of view, cultural displays and local artwork. It is considered one of the best of its kind in the Northern Territory, beautifully presented and maintained by the local people. Again, I was in Tennant Creek at the wrong time. The Center closes at 18:00 during the week in May - September.

Tennant Creek Bus Station in the Evening

Believe me, it does not look like this at 2 AM in the morning.

Fernanda's Bar and Restaurant

Fernanda's Bar and Restaurant is located in the same building as the Tennant Creek Squash Courts. It looked nice but we wondered whether if it were really open for dinner at 17:45. I'll do a tip here to give you an idea of the entrees and prices.

• Pros:Award-winning Nyinkka Nyunyu Cultural Center
  • In a nutshell:Was always there at the wrong time.
  • Last visit to Tennant Creek: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 4, 2012

Comments

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Tennant Creek

Have you been to Tennant Creek?

Latest Activity in Tennant Creek