"Tennant Creek Briefly" Tennant Creek by AlbuqRay
Tennant Creek Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 18 photos
I actually stopped in Tennant Creek twice in August 2010 when I went from Darwin to Alice Springs and back. Unfortunately neither time was for long. Going south on the Greyhound bus on 8 Aug 2010, we were there from 01:50 - 03:10, waiting for passengers on a connecting bus from the Barkly Highway. Unfortunately, since it was the middle of the night, the bus station was closed as was everything else in town.
Zig (1+1) and I also went through Tennant Creek on our way back to Darwin on 24 Aug 2010, arriving around 17:40. We drove by the bus station (which was open at that time), and checked out Fernanda's Bar and Restaurant since it had a good review in Lonely Planet. It turned out to have excellent Chef's Specialties on its menu but they were not cheap. It was also kind of early to have dinner, so we decided to continue on to Threeways.
If I had had some time in Tennant Creek, I would probably skip seeing the historical telegraph station since I had seen one at Barrow Creek; however, I would love to see the award-winning Nyinkka Nyunyu Cultural Center, which was opened in 2003. It was planned and designed in close consultation with local Aboriginal people. The Center houses exhibitions on local history from an Aboriginal point of view, cultural displays and local artwork. It is considered one of the best of its kind in the Northern Territory, beautifully presented and maintained by the local people. Again, I was in Tennant Creek at the wrong time. The Center closes at 18:00 during the week in May - September.
Believe me, it does not look like this at 2 AM in the morning.
Fernanda's Bar and Restaurant is located in the same building as the Tennant Creek Squash Courts. It looked nice but we wondered whether if it were really open for dinner at 17:45. I'll do a tip here to give you an idea of the entrees and prices.
- Pros:Award-winning Nyinkka Nyunyu Cultural Center
- In a nutshell:Was always there at the wrong time.
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Tennant Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tennant Creek - The Golden Heart of the NT"
- "Tennant Creek Briefly"
- "Tennant Creek"
- "Devils Marbles"
- "Key Locations in Outback History."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tennant Creek
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Tennant Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tennant Creek
Photos in Tennant CreekSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues