"Copacabana and the Lake Titicaca Area" Top 5 Page for this destination Copacabana by AlbuqRay
Copacabana Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 295 photos
Copacabana is a small town of ~55,000 people in a beautiful location between two mountains on the shore of Lake Titicaca. It is in Bolivia but on a peninsula that is connected only to Peru. To reach it from Bolivia, you must take a ferry across the Estrecho de Tiquina. This picture shows Copacabana with Cerro Calvario (the taller of the twin peaks in the middle). Lake Titicaca is in the background.
Not only is Copacabana in a picturesque place, it is also a rich agricultural area. The lake water moderates the temperature and lengthens the growing season. Copacabana is just to the left of this picture.
Copacabana has many religious influences. Most people depart from here to go to Isla del Sol and its sacred Inca sites. The "Moorish Cathedral" in Copacabana is the home of the "Dark Virgin," Camarin de la Virgen de Candelaria. It also has Cerro Calvario, which has the 14 Stations of the Cross up a small mountain. This is a view from second Station of the Cross on Cerro Calvario.
- Pros:Beautiful location; Aegean-like beach
- Cons:A bit too commercialized
- In a nutshell:Pleasant stopover on the way to Isla del Sol
The area around the Cathedral and the plaza in front of it is very commercialized. The Avenue 6 de Agosto runs between... more travel advice
To stay in Bolivia on your way from El Alto/ La Paz to Copacabana, you must take a ferry across the Straits of Tiquina.... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Copacabana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A little too early or too late in Copacabana"
- "COPACABANA TOWN..."
- "Copacabana and the Lake Titicaca Area"
- "At the Copacabana"
- "Beach and pilgrims"
- "Copacabana. Church"
- "lake titicaca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copacabana
- Hotels in Copacabana
- Transportation in Copacabana
- Nightlife in Copacabana
- Restaurants in Copacabana
- Shopping in Copacabana
- Warnings and Dangers in Copacabana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Copacabana
- 12 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Copacabana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copacabana
- Posted in Travel Siem Reap Forum "Re: How do we spend 8 Days in..."
- Commented on one of chancay's Copacabana travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Copacabana and the Lake Titicaca Area"
- updated a Copacabana Travel Page "Copacabana and the Lake Titicaca Area"
- Wrote a Review Peruvian Influence in Copacabana Shopping
Photos in CopacabanaSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues