"La Paz - City with a View" Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz by AlbuqRay
La Paz Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 889 photos
The metropolitan area of La Paz starts with El Alto. The airport is located there on the flat Altiplano and is one of the highest in the world. Because of the higher elevation (~4060 m = ~13320 ft) and exposure, El Alto is the less desirable place to live than down lower in the Rio Choqueyapu valley. El Alto is populated mostly by Aymara Indians, who have migrated to the city to find jobs. It may be the fastest growing city in Bolivia; otherwise the fastest growing is Santa Cruz. Ironically, El Alto is the poorest city in Bolivia and Santa Cruz the richest.
The highways to Tiwanaku and Copacabana meet in El Alto. About 10 km. out on the highway to Copacabana is a village called Capacasi. North of Capacasi about 5 km., nestled in the foothills a long way from anywhere is a two-room school called Unidad Educativa Collpani Vilaque. See my travelogues on Collpani School and an Aymara Lunch Ceremony, and see kids who really appreciate getting an education.
You take a steep road down from El Alto to get to La Paz itself. The central city has an offical elevation of 3631m (11,913 ft), but it really depends on where you are. La Paz is built on the sides of a canyon made by the Rio Choqueyapu. The metropolitan area sprawls down through the suburbs of Miraflores, Sopocachi and the Zona Sur toward Valle de la Luna (elevation = 3320 m = 10892 ft). Mallasa and the zoo are even further down the valley. According to the Aymara, the city is surrounded by mythological giants, i.e., the peaks towering above the city. The tallest of which is the magnificent Mount Illimani at 6439 m (21125 ft).
Between La Paz and Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon), the elevation drops another 300 m (~1000 ft) relative to the center of La Paz. Because of that, these suburbs have a noticably warmer climate and are the neighborhoods for the more affluent people. In some places, except for the mountains, you would think you were in suburban USA.
- Pros:Spectacular setting; multicultural
- Cons:High altitude and steep streets
- In a nutshell:Fascinating city and people
Although it is listed in all the city tours, it seems that not many tourists make it to Killi Killi. The views of La Paz... more travel advice
Calle Jaen with its cobblestone street, balconies and stone doorways makes you think you are in Spain. There are four... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
La Paz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SIMPLY, THIS..."
- "La Paz - City with a View"
- "A little glimpse of La Paz"
- "La cuenca de La Paz"
- "Getting a little trim in La Paz"
- "Cerca del Cielo"
- "BOLIVIA, POOR COUNTRY WITH A BIG HEART"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Paz
- Hotels in La Paz
- Transportation in La Paz
- Nightlife in La Paz
- Restaurants in La Paz
- Shopping in La Paz
- Warnings and Dangers in La Paz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Paz
- 18 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to La Paz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Paz
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Guided Tour or self-guided tour"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's La Paz tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pucara - A Modern Sculpture"
- updated a La Paz Travelogue "Aymara Lunch Ceremony"
- Wrote a Review Panorama from Killi Killi Viewpoint in La Paz Off The Beaten Path
Photos in La PazSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues