"Potosi and the Fabled Mountain of Silver" Top 5 Page for this destination Potosí by AlbuqRay
Potosí Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 359 photos
Potosi was one of the largest, richest cities in the world in the 1600's, all because of Cerro Rico. It was a mountain rich with silver and tin. It was 5165 m then but now is 4830 m due to centuries of mining. The legend says the riches were discovered when a shepherd built a campfire one night and liquid silver ran out from under it. Now silver and tin are hard to find. Although the legacy of colonial architecture remains in Potosi, so do polluted rivers, barren slopes and miners struggling to make a living. For more information on Potosi, see also my Bolivia travelogue, It Was One of the World's Great Cities.
- Pros:Can view art and architecture from a colonial past
- Cons:High altitude and steep streets
- In a nutshell:Historical treasures but poor people still exploited
My guide, Roberto Mendez, performs at the Belen Theater. He can take you up on the roof for some great views of the city... more travel advice
You never know when or where you will find University of Florida alumni. This guy was helping restore Iglesia de San... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Potosí Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Potosi and the Fabled Mountain of Silver"
- "Getting more than my fill in Potosi"
- "Potosí (3.977m)"
- "Highest City in the World"
- "IT COSTS A POTOSI!!!"
- "Sumaj Orcko (Magnificent Mountain)"
- "high beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Potosí
- Hotels in Potosí
- Transportation in Potosí
- Nightlife in Potosí
- Restaurants in Potosí
- Shopping in Potosí
- Warnings and Dangers in Potosí
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Potosí
- 22 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Potosí?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Potosí
Photos in PotosíSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues