"Magnificent and Magical Isla del Sol" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla del Sol by AlbuqRay
Isla del Sol Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 181 photos
Located on the Bolivian side of Lago Titicaca, the Incas believed that Isla del Sol was where the white god, Viracocha, brought forth the sun and moon from the Rock of the Puma to light up the world. Today the Aymara Indians continue those beliefs and one can see the artifacts of that legend.
The island is the largest in Lake Titicaca measuring 13 miles in length and 5 miles at its widest point. Except for the coldness of the clear water and the snowcapped peaks in the distance, you might think you were in the Mediterranean Sea.
In Apr 06 I returned to Isla del Sol with two family friends. The idea for a different legend started on the trail to the traditional Titi Khar'ka (Rock of the Puma) when 17 year old Ashley said "that rock looks like a cat." She had never been in that area before and did not know the Viracocha creation legend at the time. Take a look at this picture of the rock that "looks like a cat." It is of a rock outcropping next to the trail maybe 400 meters before you get to Titi Khar'ka. It looks much more like a puma than Titi Khar'ka!
Our guide showed us the face of the puma on the traditional Titi Khar'ka. It looks more like a bearded man. Maybe this is really the Cara de Viracocha that Lonely Planet mentions. It is known that this area was also a sacred site for the Tiahuanacans. Maybe two similar legends are getting mixed up and some parts lost. Could the Viracocha creation legend actually be that the sun and the moon came from the darker-colored Rock of the Puma (above) to the pink Titi Khar'ka where the white bearded god, Viracocha, stayed? After all, the footprints of the sun (Huellas del Sol) are in the stone on the trail between them and point in that direction. See also my Isla del Sol local custom tips for more pictures and some even wilder ideas. Hey, it could be true!
- Pros:Spectacular views and mysterious history
- Cons:Must be able to walk some distances at high elevation to see everything
- In a nutshell:Legend and beauty in a sea at 12,500 feet
In the introduction I proposed a modified legend, i.e., a different Rock of the Puma. This idea came after remembering... more travel advice
Most people like to sit on top to see better. However, if it is raining or too cold, then there is a comfortable cabin... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Isla del Sol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magnificent and Magical Isla del Sol"
- "A break in the middle of Titicaca"
- "Where the sun was born"
- "The Island of Sun - on the highest sailable lake!"
- "Que bonito lago..."
- "2 dias sobre la Isla del Sol"
- "Isla del Sol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla del Sol
- Hotels in Isla del Sol
- Transportation in Isla del Sol
- Nightlife in Isla del Sol
- Restaurants in Isla del Sol
- Shopping in Isla del Sol
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla del Sol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla del Sol
- 20 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Isla del Sol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla del Sol
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Guided Tour or self-guided tour"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Isla del Sol Wood Carvings"
- updated a Isla del Sol Travelogue "La Chincana - The Main Inca Ruin on Isla del Sol"
- Wrote a Review More on the "New" Rock of the Puma in Isla del Sol Local Customs
- Commented on one of gzal's Isla del Sol travel pages
Photos in Isla del SolSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues