"Trinidad - Door to the Bolivian Amazon" Trinidad by AlbuqRay

Trinidad Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 72 photos

Tropical Cattle Town

Trinidad is a small city (population 80,000) in north-central Bolivia but only 14 degrees south of the equator. It is a busy frontier town now based on the cattle industry and not many tourists. You can fly there from La Paz. It is relatively close (~15 km) to ports on both the Ibare and Mamore Rivers. Because you still find German looking and speaking Bolivians there, I suspect this remote spot may have been a place that some Nazis fled to after WWII. I went there to catch the Reina de Enin, Fremen Tours' floating hotel on the Mamore River. It is amazing what you can see and do while living in comfort on the Reina de Enin. I only allowed 3 days for the riverboat trip the first time I went to Bolivia and it was not near enough. The second time was for five days but the way things turned out, I only got four. I'll tell that story later.

Trinidad Expo

The Trinidad Expo is the equivalent of our state fair. It was packed with people having a good time. There were food booths, industrial exhibits, animals, music and dancing. Captain Thomas wanted to go, so the Reina de Enin did not go far from Trinidad on my second trip. He invited me also and I had fun seeing things and meeting people. When we went back to the boat at about 11 PM, the "taxi" (the Fremen van) was not part of my tour. It cost 150 Bolivianos. LOL, I financed a night on the town for him and the driver. I saw them coming back at 8 AM the next morning. It was only about $20 so I did not mind much. They had taken good care of me. However, they took me to the airport right after breakfast (for a 1 PM flight). I am sure they were dying to get some sleep. See also a separate Trinidad Expo travelogue.

Reina de Enin Cruise

The Reina de Enin is a relatively large houseboat. Normally it stays out on the wide Mamore River. However, during the rainy season it can make it up the Ibare River almost to Loma Suarez (LOL, especially when the captain wants to go to the Expo). We just docked on the shoreline in a bend in the river. It turned out that the road to Chuchini ran right by the river there. It was easy to climb up a path to the road and have the van take us into Trinidad.

• Pros:Great location for exploring Bolivian jungle rivers
  • Cons:Limited infrastructure for tourists (wait, that may be a pro)
  • In a nutshell:Reminded me of a southwestern USA town but on the edge of the jungle
  • Last visit to Trinidad: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2012

Comments

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Trinidad

Have you been to Trinidad?