"Ubon - A Good Base to See Many Things in Isan" Ubon Ratchathani by AlbuqRay
Ubon Ratchathani Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 186 photos
There are many things to see in the Ubon Ratchathani area (called "Ubon" for short). The sights include Sapue Rapids, Kaeng Tana (what's left), Khong Chiam, Sao Chaliang, Pha Taem, Chong Mek, and Sirindhorn Dam in Thailand. There is also Preah Vihear in Cambodia. I have separate pages for Preah Vihear (a must see) and Pha Taem.
I shall put quite a bit of information on Kaeng Tana (tips and travelogue) here, since it may no longer exist. According to an internet article, it was blasted away in Jul 04 by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand. What a shame. It was a beautiful place. These pictures from Apr 04 may be some of the last ones.
To see all of these places near Ubon, you probably need to hire a driver. We hired Mr. Piboon through the Hotel Laithong. I highly recommend Mr. Piboon. He knows the Ubon area well, is punctual, and is an excellent driver. If you book him through the hotel, it is 1500 baht per day plus gasoline (500 baht). However, he told us if you call him directly (09-2814094), it is only 1200 baht plus gasoline.
- Pros:Good location for side trips and nice hotels
- Cons:Mainly just another big city
- In a nutshell:Start here but go elsewhere
The breakfast buffet had Thai, European and American entrees. The Thai dishes were especially good and there were new... more travel advice
Frommer's calls the Laithong Hotel the best address in town. You may book on-line. I got a rate of 1300 baht but it may... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Ubon Ratchathani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ubon - A Good Base to See Many Things in Isan"
- "Ubon Ratchathani"
- "Wat Tung Si Muang"
- "Ubon Ratchathani"
- "a not-so-discovered almost border town"
- "UBON RATCHATHANI CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ubon Ratchathani
- Hotels in Ubon Ratchathani
- Transportation in Ubon Ratchathani
- Restaurants in Ubon Ratchathani
- Shopping in Ubon Ratchathani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ubon Ratchathani
- 9 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Ubon Ratchathani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ubon Ratchathani
- Posted in Travel La Paz Forum "Re: how to get to Lake Titicaca"
- Commented on one of Wann's Ubon Ratchathani travel pages
- updated a Ubon Ratchathani Travel Page "Ubon - A Good Base to See Many Things in Isan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wat Tham Khu Ha Sawan - Lower Level"
- Wrote a Review Delicious Breakfast Buffet in Ubon Ratchathani Hotels
Photos in Ubon RatchathaniSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues