"Portal for Angkor Temple Complex But Nice Itself" Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap by AlbuqRay
Siem Reap Travel Guide: 619 reviews and 2,271 photos
I was in Siem Reap on 18-24 Mar 09. The bus from Phnom Penh arrived after dark on the 18th and my flight to Kuala Lumpur left early on the 24th. This left me five full days to see the Angkor area. With the help of my guide, So Peng Thai, and tuk tuk driver, Sophen, I was able to do the following:
Day 1 - Self-guided Siem Reap walking tour including Psar Chaa (Old Market), downtown, Wat Preah Prohm Rath, the riverfront and Wat Bo;
Day 2 - Baksei Chamkrong, Angkor Thom, the Bayon, the Baphuon, Phimeanakas, Terrace of the Elephants, Chau Say Tevoda, Thommanon, Eastern Baray, Ta Prohm and Banteay Kdei;
Day 3 - Angkor Wat, Banteay Srei, palm sugar making, Banteay Samre and Eastern Mebon;
Day 4 - Chong Kneas floating village on Tonle Sap Lake, Phnom Krom village, Krousar Thmey Foundation, Wat Thmei and Preah Khan; and
Day 5 - Peng Thai’s land, Phnom Krom hill, Wat Phnom Krom and Western Baray.
When I returned to Cambodia in March 2010, most of the time was spent in Phnom Penh where I was back teaching at the PIO schools. However, I also visited three other parts of the country, i.e., the "provinces." In the Northwest on the way to Kampong Thom, I went to the Kulanokor Temple, Phnom Santuk, and Sambor Prei Kuk. From Kampong Thom, I went to Spean Preah Toeus in Kampong Kdei, then Beng Mealea and Koh Ker via NH6, Damdek and the new toll road, ending up in Siem Reap. Doing long day trips out of Siem Reap, I also made it to remote sites like Prohm Kel (see my Off the Beaten Path tip and travelogues under Cambodia) and Preah Vihear (for the second time but from the Cambodian side). I also did a day trip to Phnom Kulen. I had wanted to see Preah Khan of Kampong Svay but the car that I was in (a Camry) could not make it. Also, I ran out of time before making it to Banteay Chhmar.
This is a similar shot of Sivatha Boulevard and Pokambor Avenue in 2009 to the 2010 one above. What a difference a year makes! In 2010 the construction on Sivatha was finished, a statue installed in the center of the intersection to make a roundabout, and the old vendor shelter across the intersection replaced with new buildings.
- Pros:Many options for hotels, restaurants, tours and guides
- Cons:Many tourists, tuk tuk drivers, and higher prices than other parts of Cambodia
- In a nutshell:Gateway to the Angkor temple complex
It is not possible to do Beng Mealea, Banteay Srei and Koh Ker adequately in one day. However, Koh Ker is definitely not... more travel advice
I did not actually eat there but I did see a restaurant in Siem Reap that was explicitly vegetarian. It was called V and... more travel advice
AlbuqRay's Related Pages
Siem Reap Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Interesting Town, Close to Angkor Wat"
- "Siem Reap - The Great Gate to Angkor"
- "Portal for Angkor Temple Complex But Nice Itself"
- "Siem Reap - Gateway to Angkor"
- "Siem Reap"
- "Siem Reap"
- "SIEM REAP"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siem Reap
- Hotels in Siem Reap
- Transportation in Siem Reap
- Nightlife in Siem Reap
- Restaurants in Siem Reap
- Shopping in Siem Reap
- Warnings and Dangers in Siem Reap
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siem Reap
- 33 Reviews
- 147 Photos
- 42 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Siem Reap?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siem Reap
- Posted in Travel Angkor Wat Forum "Re: Restaurant Ta Prom"
- updated a Siem Reap Travel Page "Portal for Angkor Temple Complex But Nice Itself"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Siem Reap tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mexican Food in Siem Reap"
- Wrote a Review Time Necessary for a Tour to Beng Mealea & Koh Ker in Siem Reap Favorites
- Uploaded a Video to Siem Reap
Photos in Siem ReapSee All Photos (147)
Videos in Siem ReapSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alice Springs Intro, 111 reviews, 574 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 64 reviews, 334 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 57 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 50 reviews, 286 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 72 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- Macdonnell Ranges Intro, 41 reviews, 260 photos, 10 travelogues
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 45 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 44 reviews, 213 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mataranka Intro, 27 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues