"Portal for Angkor Temple Complex But Nice Itself" Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap by AlbuqRay

Siem Reap Travel Guide: 311 reviews and 1,072 photos

Five-Day Actual Itinerary in 2009

I was in Siem Reap on 18-24 Mar 09. The bus from Phnom Penh arrived after dark on the 18th and my flight to Kuala Lumpur left early on the 24th. This left me five full days to see the Angkor area. With the help of my guide, So Peng Thai, and tuk tuk driver, Sophen, I was able to do the following:

Day 1 - Self-guided Siem Reap walking tour including Psar Chaa (Old Market), downtown, Wat Preah Prohm Rath, the riverfront and Wat Bo;
Day 2 - Baksei Chamkrong, Angkor Thom, the Bayon, the Baphuon, Phimeanakas, Terrace of the Elephants, Chau Say Tevoda, Thommanon, Eastern Baray, Ta Prohm and Banteay Kdei;
Day 3 - Angkor Wat, Banteay Srei, palm sugar making, Banteay Samre and Eastern Mebon;
Day 4 - Chong Kneas floating village on Tonle Sap Lake, Phnom Krom village, Krousar Thmey Foundation, Wat Thmei and Preah Khan; and
Day 5 - Peng Thai’s land, Phnom Krom hill, Wat Phnom Krom and Western Baray.

Back to Siem Reap on 20-23 Mar 2010

When I returned to Cambodia in March 2010, most of the time was spent in Phnom Penh where I was back teaching at the PIO schools. However, I also visited three other parts of the country, i.e., the "provinces." In the Northwest on the way to Kampong Thom, I went to the Kulanokor Temple, Phnom Santuk, and Sambor Prei Kuk. From Kampong Thom, I went to Spean Preah Toeus in Kampong Kdei, then Beng Mealea and Koh Ker via NH6, Damdek and the new toll road, ending up in Siem Reap. Doing long day trips out of Siem Reap, I also made it to remote sites like Prohm Kel (see my Off the Beaten Path tip and travelogues under Cambodia) and Preah Vihear (for the second time but from the Cambodian side). I also did a day trip to Phnom Kulen. I had wanted to see Preah Khan of Kampong Svay but the car that I was in (a Camry) could not make it. Also, I ran out of time before making it to Banteay Chhmar.

Sivatha Boulevard and Pokambor Avenue in 2009

This is a similar shot of Sivatha Boulevard and Pokambor Avenue in 2009 to the 2010 one above. What a difference a year makes! In 2010 the construction on Sivatha was finished, a statue installed in the center of the intersection to make a roundabout, and the old vendor shelter across the intersection replaced with new buildings.

• Pros:Many options for hotels, restaurants, tours and guides
  • Cons:Many tourists, tuk tuk drivers, and higher prices than other parts of Cambodia
  • In a nutshell:Gateway to the Angkor temple complex
  • Last visit to Siem Reap: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2011

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

You have written the most interesting tips on Siem Reap. Thanks for sharing Raymond.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for your very helpful tips! I hope to visit this place this year :-)

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Interesting and useful information here Raymond...the guide you lucked into seems to have added a terrific touch to your visit here...Great pages...thanks!!

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2010 at 3:50 AM

Good tips. We'll be there in 4 weeks, can't wait.

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Fantastic tips on Siem Reap. I hope to have a great time in my dream destination

• zin's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM

WOW YUMMY:) I CAN SEE IT LOOKS DELICIOUS AND THE PRICE IS ALSO VERY REASONABLE.

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Badges & Stats in Siem Reap

Have you been to Siem Reap?

Videos in Siem Reap