"Lufkin TX - in a few paragraphs" Lufkin by Diego_dog
Lufkin Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 9 photos
There’s really not too much to write about Lufkin Texas, it’s a relatively small town (about 32000 people) on the eastern part of Texas (called “The Piney Woods”), that’s about 100 miles north (160 Km) of Houston. As the nickname of the area implies, there are a lot of pine trees everywhere, and forestry services (such as sawmills and forestry management by the local government) are the major sources of employment for the area.
Golfing is very popular in this part of the state, and so are outdoor boating activities (such as bass fishing, water skiing, and outdoor camping) with Lufkin being fairly close by Lake Sam Rayburn. On a side-note, don’t eat the fish out of any of the local lakes, as the lakes are polluted with sewage or mercury (or both). The city has bragging rights to having one of the top rated golf courses in Texas (at Crown Colony Golf Course), but it is not a public golf course (membership is required).
The city does have a small (two-year) community college, and there is a four-year university in Nacogdoches. The local schools are not rated very highly, and those who can afford it, send their children to the private (religious) schools. The area public school that most agree that is acceptable is in the city of Hudson (very small suburb of Lufkin, located about 3 miles (about 5 Km) west of Lufkin).
The local hospitals (Memorial Health System of East Texas, and Woodland Heights Medical Center) brag about having some of the best cardiologist in the state of Texas, but the same cannot be said about specialized pediatric care, as you will have to travel to The Houston Children’s Hospital for care (which is really sad as they focus so much on one specialty, but ignore other medical needs and specialties).
Don’t come to Lufkin to shop, as you will be sorely upset at the poor selection of stores to patronize. There is not a very good selection of restaurants in the area, but at least they do have a Starbucks.
- Pros:Top-rated golf course (public golfing is affordable), friendly people, appealing to those who enjoy outdoor sporting activities
- Cons:Crime & drugs, flooding, poor shopping selection, Fast food restaurants, weekends are dead, Dry County (alcohol isn?t sold), devoutly religious (?Bible Belt?), bad car drivers, apartment housing is bad and very expensive.
- In a nutshell:Great for the old-timers, but teenagers and those from large cities will hate it as they may consider the city too remote for their liking.
Not really a danger (except to the paint on your car), but more of a for-your-information. During the entire months of... more travel advice
Your basic mom-and-pop hamburger joint, that seems to draw in the local folks. Fried food is the main focus on the menu.... more travel advice
Diego_dog's Related Pages
Lufkin Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Lufkin
- Hotels in Lufkin
- Restaurants in Lufkin
- Warnings and Dangers in Lufkin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lufkin
- 9 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Lufkin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lufkin
- updated a Lufkin Travel Page "Lufkin TX - in a few paragraphs"
- Posted in Travel New Orleans Forum "RE: Crawfish season"
- Wrote a Review Wash your car frequently - Love Bugs (no not VW's) in Lufkin Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wash your car frequently - Love Bugs (no not VW's)"
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jackson Intro, 16 reviews, 4 photos
- Lufkin Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Brandon Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Houston Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.