"Knoxville, Tennessee" Knoxville by soundsgoodtome

Knoxville Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 187 photos

This is my sister and I standing behind the great seal of UT in front of one of its many lecture halls. She was being recognized for some academic program back in middle school and i was only about 15 at the time. Knoxville is a nice city, very much like my home in Chattanooga. Only about 110 miles apart, both cities are in the middle of the southern Appalachain mountains, on the Tennessee River in East Tennessee, and both have campuses of the University of Tennessee, the main campus being in Knoxville and UTC in Chattanooga. Knoxville is also a bit larger than Chattanooga, with a metro population of about 700,000.

Since I've started going to college in Lexington I drive thru Knoxville all the time, but I have only been to Knoxville to actually do stuff about 10 or 12 times. My favorite of course it going to Vols football games. The Knoxville Zoo is very large and nice. I need to get back b/c I was in elementary school when I last went. Knoxville has the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, which, although I've never been, I know would be a great place to go for sports fans. The downtown area is undergoing much revitalization, just like Chattanooga, and the UT campus area and riverfront are already beautiful. The one thing that I am jealous of Knoxville as a Chattanoogan is its close proximity to the Smoky Mountains. Although Chattanooga is only 2 hours away from the national park, you can see the Smokies from downtown Knoxville. We have many beautiful mountains too, but none with the grandeur of the Smokies. I promise that I will go to downtown Knoxville and get some pictures of the gorgeous views soon. It is a wonderful southern city with nice people, great sports and education, and spectacular natural beauty.

• Pros:Beautiful nature, a great University, and sports
  • Cons:Bad traffic and lots of urban sprawl
  • In a nutshell:Gateway city of the Smoky Mountains
  • Intro Written Dec 28, 2003

soundsgoodtome

“Time is man's eternal enemy, it only goes by slowly when we don't want it to.”

Badges & Stats in Knoxville

Have you been to Knoxville?

Latest Activity in Knoxville