"A Nice Counterpoint to Ocean Shores" Westport by glabah
Westport Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 75 photos
The two communities on the two peninsulas that create Gray's Harbor are a study in contrasts. Ocean Shores is on the north peninsula. It was created in the 1960s by money from California, and looks like it belongs in California.
Westport is a much older community, and looks like a typical coastal community in the Pacific Northwest should. There are a few newer buildings, certainly. However, for the most part even though things are obviously tourist oriented you will also find a few fish packing plants. For the most part it is a relaxing and reasonably priced community.
It may seem like clear weather only happens occasionally in this area, but when it does happen what a view! The Westport Viewing Platform makes a whole lot more sense when viewed with the Olympic Mountains behind it. It is also possible to see Mount Rainier way off in the distance as well if the day is clear, but it is so small that it is usually not noticed.
Due to the wind activity here, kite flying (especially acrobatic kite flying) is fairly popular and there is an annual kite festival put on by the Westport Windriders. It isn't quite as well known as the event further south in Long Beach (just north of Astoria) which may be a good thing for some people as it is much less crowded.
- Pros:Small Town with a true Pacific Northwest Coast feel. In the winter, has birds visit that may not be easy to find elsewhere. Rough surf attracts surfers. No through traffic.
- Cons:Small Town without a huge number of cultural and entertainment options.
- In a nutshell:If you like the options available, a good place to spend some time.
Further south, the Long Beach Kite Festival is very well known. However, Westport also has an annual kite festival which... more travel advice
Starting at the far north end of town, at the base of the Viewing Tower, the Westport Light Trail is a paved trail that... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Westport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nice Counterpoint to Ocean Shores"
- "Fish on!"
- "Safe Harbor"
- "Sand and wind"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Westport
- Hotels in Westport
- Transportation in Westport
- Restaurants in Westport
- Warnings and Dangers in Westport
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Westport
- 11 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Westport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Westport
Photos in WestportSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 157 reviews, 778 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 155 reviews, 650 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 328 photos, 28 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 25 reviews, 208 photos, 12 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 201 photos, 15 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 37 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 45 reviews, 139 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (44)
Latest Westport hotel reviews
- Chateau Westport
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013