"Seattle Area's first Settlement from the USA" West Seattle by glabah
West Seattle Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 88 photos
What is now downtown Seattle was not the first location of an attempted settlement in the area. In fact, the first settlers from the United State of America decided that Alki Point and what is now West Seattle would make a much better place than the swampland where Seattle now sits. At the time, of course, Washington wasn't even a territory, and was considered part of the Oregon territory.
Life on the Peninsula was difficult, and by the 1860s almost all traces of the first settlement here had vanished. Soon, what is now Seattle (named after the Native American chief that welcomed the refugees from the Alki Peninsula) was the primary settlement in the area.
By the early 1900s, there was regular ferry service between downtown Seattle and the Alki peninsula so that people could enjoy the beaches at that location. The swamps near Seattle had all been filled in, and there were no longer beaches near Seattle itself. However, the Alki Peninsula represented reasonably unspoiled beaches for people to relax.
Today, it is a commuter suburb and small town coastal community environment, but with enough traffic through it to remind you that you are very close to a major city.
I have divided my West Seattle and Alki Peninsula material into two separate areas. The items further east on the Peninsula are in the West Seattle area you are reading now. Those items that are further west and facing Puget Sound are in the Alki section.
On the tourist maps of West Seattle, you will find listed the "West Seattle Murals". While they are interesting, I... more travel advice
While the Admiral Way viewpoint gives a more complete view of downtown Seattle and the Cascades, the view from the... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
West Seattle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seattle Area's first Settlement from the USA"
- "West Seattle"
- "West Seattle"
- "Small town feel in the big city!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Seattle
- Transportation in West Seattle
- Warnings and Dangers in West Seattle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Seattle
- 12 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (274)
Have you been to West Seattle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Seattle
Photos in West SeattleSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 177 reviews, 907 photos, 24 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 161 reviews, 751 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 597 photos, 60 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 88 reviews, 386 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 221 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 55 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 46 reviews, 207 photos, 5 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues