"Gateway to the Columbia River Gorge" Washougal by glabah
Washougal Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 279 photos
I selected this photo, taken from Washougal's Columbia River Dike Trail, as the lead photo for this page as it adequately expresses the position of Washougal at the start of the Columbia River Gorge for most visitors.
The tug boat and its barges are headed upriver into the Columbia Gorge, and in the background is the Vista House, on the Oregon side of the river.
The transition here is quite abrupt. Taking this photo in Washougal, I am standing on flat lands along the river, while almost within touching distance, are the mountains that create the wonderful Columbia River Gorge.
Washougal is the last city going eastward that is on the Washington side of the river before you get to the gorge. Unfortunately, the draw of the gorge as an attraction means that few people stop in Washougal to see what is there. Yet, the Steigerwald Wildlife Refuge is of significant interest in the area, and the Columbia River Dike Trail is a nice walk that is mostly away from the noisy traffic of highway 14. Steamboat Landing Park is also known as a popular place to fish.
In February of 2010, a new walkway was completed under highway 14 to allow direct pedestrian access to Steamboat Landing Park and the Columbia Dike Trail from downtown Washougal. This allows visitors to downtown Washougal and the Pendleton woolen mill store there to take a several mile walk, should they so deisre, all the way to the Steigerwald Wildlife Refuge through Captain William Clark Park.
The old downtown core of Washougal, unfortunately, leaves a lot to be desired. There are several stores, two restaurants, several civic buildings, and that is pretty much it. Old historic storefronts do exist here, but they are severely overshadowed by new, modern structures like the one on the left - in fact, since downtown Washougal is only about 3 blocks long, this structure overshadows most of the downtown core itself! The good news is that the new development has included a new plaza that should be a pleasant gathering place.
- Pros:Small town with some great views, close to recreation in the Columbia River Gorge, and some nice places all of its own. Efforts to eliminate train horns at crossings mean the railroad generates less noise than many towns in the USA that have lines.
- Cons:Not much for night life here, especially such things as theatres, large sporting events and music entertainment, but at least it is close to Portland and Vancouver.
- In a nutshell:Nice small town which may deserve a look if you are going through this direction.
As it crosses the river this trail actually hits both Washougal and Camas. However, currently the majority of the trail... more travel advice
There is a very small pull-out on Highway 14 at Cape Horn. It provides a great view of the Columbia River Gorge, but it... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Washougal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Come Play in Washougal!"
- "Gateway to the Columbia River Gorge"
- "oneonta_ni's new Washougal Page"
- "jhynds's new Washougal Page"
- "Basaic Washougal Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washougal
- Hotels in Washougal
- Restaurants in Washougal
- Shopping in Washougal
- Warnings and Dangers in Washougal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washougal
- 20 Reviews
- 257 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Washougal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washougal
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Features Today!"
- updated a Washougal Travel Page "Gateway to the Columbia River Gorge"
- Commented on one of glabah's Washougal travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Summer Sets In, 22 May 2015"
- Wrote a Review Washougal River Greenway Trail in Washougal Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Washougal
Photos in WashougalSee All Photos (257)
Videos in WashougalSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 181 reviews, 928 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 166 reviews, 771 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 29 reviews, 728 photos, 76 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 90 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 59 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 54 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 257 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salem Intro, 50 reviews, 224 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 56 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues