"Famous for Exclusive Wealth, but not whole story" Vashon Island by glabah
Vashon Island Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 73 photos
There are an awful lot of people out there who only know of Vashon Island due to its recent fame as a place for the very wealthy to live. Of the properties there, Tom Stewart's $125 million estate, which is said to be one of the most expensive residential properties in the world, is probably the best known right now.
However, the reality of Vashon Island is not exactly in keeping with this wealthy stereotype.
While there are very wealthy people that live here, there are also quite a number of smaller residential properties. A few small communities with small stores and other local businesses are scattered through the island. The largest of these communities is (naturally) Vashon, which is centered just south of the Vashon Ferry Terminal and about 1/4 of the way south along the island.
Small farms, such as one of the area's you-pick lavendar farms, are also located on the island.
Many, many of the houses are small or average in size, and not huge gated and fenced estates of the wealthy.
There is a wild population of deer, and it is not unusual to see the deer in daylight hours near the roads (this is, by the way, one of the several dangers of Vashon Island).
My experience on Vashon Island is extremely limited so far, but:
I can tell you that it is a place that some people in Seattle like to go to bicycle, and that there are a few regional parks on the island. It is also the famous home of a few very wealthy and famous people.
In conversations I had with people on the Seattle-Vashon ferry, and the waiting line to get on the boat, it seems that not all the residents of Vashon Island are wealthy. I was told that is far from the whole story: the wealthy people that live there are in fact extremely wealthy (by Seattle standards), while those that are poor are extremely poor (by Seattle standards).
One day, I will certainly discover more about the Island. In the meantime, I have put up some photos of the Seattle-Vashon trip on the passenger-only ferry.
Located on the far southern tip of Vashon Island, the Tahlequah Ferry Terminal connects Vashon Island with Point... more travel advice
In September of 2009, the Washington State Ferries exited the passenger only ferry business by order of the state... more travel advice
glabah's Related Pages
Vashon Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vashon Island"
- "Vashon Island"
- "Famous for Exclusive Wealth, but not whole story"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vashon Island
- Transportation in Vashon Island
- Restaurants in Vashon Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vashon Island
- 6 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Vashon Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vashon Island
Photos in Vashon IslandSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 166 reviews, 865 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 159 reviews, 656 photos, 7 travelogues
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 27 reviews, 497 photos, 48 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 86 reviews, 376 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 73 reviews, 237 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend Intro, 58 reviews, 218 photos, 2 travelogues
- William Finley National Wildlife Refuge Intro, 26 reviews, 222 photos, 13 travelogues
- Friday Harbor Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washougal Intro, 20 reviews, 209 photos, 16 travelogues
- Magnolia Bluff Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues